jamescarr

jamescarr

I just had a heck of a time getting mailgun working this evening, ultimately due to a typo on my mailgun domain in my config details. I thought I would share my journey for those who might run into the same issue.

Since I use direnv, I configured mailgun in config/runtime.exs to work in both dev and production environments:

   config :pento, Pento.Mailer,
     adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.Mailgun,
     api_key: System.get_env("MAILGUN_API_KEY"),
     domain: System.get_env("MAILGUN_DOMAIN"),
     base_url: "https://api.mailgun.net/v3",
     log_level: :debug

I likewise configured the appropriate settings for dev and production:

config :pento, Pento.Mailer, adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.Mailgun
config :swoosh, api_client: Swoosh.ApiClient.Finch, finch_name: Pento.Finch

And also added plug and multipart dependencies to mix.exs. I loaded up my application, reset a password and it reported success, redirecting me to the login screen. But mailgun reported no emails sent! Sadly, I am on a free plan so no logs visible on mailgun’s side. I looked through the console, but it looks like the log_level: :debug setting for the mailer had no effect, there were no logs beyond the ones indicating a success and redirect.

I decided to change up the default UserNotifier boilerplate to log an error and sure enough, I got an error log for {405, ""}.

    case Mailer.deliver(email) do
      {:ok, response} ->
        Logger.info("Email sent successfully: #{inspect(response)}")
        {:ok, email}
      {:error, reason} ->
        Logger.error("Failed to send email: #{inspect(reason)}")
        {:error, email}
    end

This was a start, but still missing a lot of detail. I went looking around to see if there was some way to log the lower level finch requests and after some reading came up with the following (not sure if this is correct):

defmodule Pento.Logger do
  require Logger

  def attach do
    :telemetry.attach(
      "finch-request-logger",
      [:finch, :request, :stop],
      &__MODULE__.handle_event/4,
      nil
    )
  end

  def handle_event(_event_name, measurements, metadata, _config) do
    {_, response} = metadata.result
    details = %{
      response_status: response.status,
      request_host: metadata.request.host,
      request_method: metadata.request.method,
      request_path: metadata.request.path,
      duration: measurements.duration
    }
    if response.status > 400 do
      Logger.error("#{inspect(details)}")
    else
      Logger.info("#{inspect(details)}")
    end

  end
end

Finally, I modified the generated PentoWeb.Telemetry module to attach the logger.

  @impl true
  def init(_arg) do
    children = [
      # Telemetry poller will execute the given period measurements
      # every 10_000ms. Learn more here: https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry_metrics
      {:telemetry_poller, measurements: periodic_measurements(), period: 10_000},
      {Finch, name: Pento.Logger}
    ]
    Pento.Logger.attach()

Thankfully, this logged out the details that showed me where I had gone wrong, can you spot it?

[error] %{request_host: "api.mailgun.net", request_path: "/v3/https://sandbox6b3be3f286c2409ab2d71b6fb9b1d52c.mailgun.org//messages", response_status: 405, request_method: "POST", duration: 340163917}

My question for you all going forward, is this the “right way” to log http requests from a third party? If I wanted to log all external requests made by finch in the future, it seems like this is the right approach?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews