thomasbrus
Hey!
I always find it a bit cumbersome to type require IEx; IEx.pry() whenever I need to debug something. Especially because of the lower and uppercase letters it is harder to type than for example binding.pry or byebug in Ruby.
So I figured I would create a helper function, like MyApp.pry():
defmodule MyApp do
def pry() do
require IEx
IEx.pry()
end
end
But obviously that won’t work since it will run IE.pry() inside the helper function instead of in the caller context.
So then I created this macro:
defmodule MyApp do
defmacro pry() do
quote do
require IEx
IEx.pry()
end
end
end
Unfortunately, now we’re back to square one though, since I’d still need to require MyApp; MyApp.pry().
So I finally settled on the following solution:
defmodule MyApp.Debugger do
defmacro __using__(_opts \\ []) do
quote do
require IEx
IEx.pry()
end
end
end
Which allows me to set a breakpoint anywhere using use MyApp.Debugger. Could even rename it to just use Debugger.
What do you think of this approach?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
Why not just put the code you need to load in your
.iex.exsfile in the root project directory?thomasbrus
@OvermindDL1 how do you mean exactly?
OvermindDL1
Any lines you add to that file (as per the linked documentation) are run upon loading IEx, so you can require whatever you want, include whatever you want, make whatever variables you want, add whatever helpers you want, etc… etc… etc…
It’s in the documentation I linked in that post.
thomasbrus
Hmm I don’t see how that would work in practice, for example if I put the following in .iex.exs:
.. then I won’t be able to call pry in my module functions (
undefined function pry/0).josevalim
I like this a lot. Can you please open up an issue in Elixir’s issues tracker? Make we could support
use IEx.Pryas a built-in part of core and save everyone some precious typing.thomasbrus
@josevalim Sure: Make it easier to place a breakpoint via IEx.pry · Issue #8125 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
That could be a nice improvement yes.