Overbryd

Overbryd

I am implementing an application that deals with monetary values. Therefore I use the excellent Decimal library to handle such values.

Now arithmetic is supported by the various functions provided by the module, e.g. Decimal.add/2.

But this results in very hard to read and write code, take this for an example:

# I would love to write: distance = price / order_price
# But I have to write:
distance = Decimal.div(price, order_price)

# This gets even more messy when dealing with multiple values
multiplier = 0.2
sale = Decimal.add(price, Decimal.mult(price, Decimal.new(multiplier)))

So, defmacro to the rescue?
Yea, I thought I really have a clean solution with a prefix macro that deals with decimal arithmetic.

Now, in my tests writing this prefix-macro I could do this:

a = Decimal.new(1)
b = Decimal.new(2)
result = decimal a + b
assert result == Decimal.new(3)
# Tests passed, hooray!

But as soon as I used this code in my application, suddenly I got lots of (ArithmeticError) bad argument in arithmetic expression

Why is this happening? Is Elixir inlining the arithmetic expressions and therefore falling back to the Kernel defaults?
I thought I explicitly loaded the Decimal.Prefix macros in the enclosed/0 function.
The weird thing, tests pass just fine, but I don’t get why errors appear when the application runs.
And I double checked the inputs, they are all of Decimal type.

Help in this matter (also the original thing, dealing with monetary values doing arithmetic with these) is highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lukas

Showing Posts 1 to 9

NobbZ

NobbZ

Instead of doing some juggling with the kernel import inside of a single block, you should instead transform the given block by traversing the AST:

defmacro decimal({:+, _, [a, b]}), do: quote do Decimal.add(unquote(a), unquote(b)) end
defmacro decimal({:-, _, [a, b]}), do: quote do Decimal.sub(unquote(a), unquote(b)) end
...

I’m not sure though how well this plays with more complex expressions that have more than a single argument :wink: It might be necessary to deep-traverse the AST to ensure proper transformation.

Besides of that, I think a |> Decimal.add(b) |> Decimal.div(c) reads pretty well. One has to remember that operations are applied left to right this way and one has to sort them.

Overbryd

Overbryd OP

Thanks, that is a good hint. I will try using the AST.
And you are right, the pipe version does not read too bad.

Also, I found after trying around and looking in the Kernel source, that when overwriting the Kernel definitions like def left + right, do: Decimal.add(left, right), instead of defining a macro, just works and does not fail when the application runs.

For reference: the updated gist.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

You might like the Numbers library, which allows you to work with any numeric types, as well as automatically converting integer and float arguments to the Decimal type when the other argument is one, which removes the Decimal.new(x) clutter:

alias Numbers, as: N

distance = N.div(price, order_price)
multiplier = 0.2
sale = N.add(price, N.mult(price, multiplier))

Numbers on purpose does not export overloaded operators (but might do so in an explicit opt-in way in the near future).

EDIT: The new version 5.1.0 Has support for exporting overloaded operators as well.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

For note, the reason + is not working as expected is likely because they were not exempted like via:

import Kernel, except: [+: 2]
Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

There is only one reason to define operators as macros, which is that inside a macro you can find out if it is called as part of a guard clause, or outside of one. So outside of a guard clause you could have fancy logic, while inside a guard clause you could fall back to the built-in operators that work on the built-in data types.

Overbryd

Overbryd OP

Thank you all for the insightful replies. I learned a lot today.

Jacek

Jacek

Some time ago I wrote simple library which could help in such cases.

beno

beno

What happened to our favourite operator of them all?

price |> D.div(order_price)
sale = price |> D.mult(multiplier) |> D.add(price)

It’s like Reverse Polish Notation in code.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Heh, quite the interesting idea.


Actually, I am currently considering upgrading the Numeric library so that it will (when using the overload_operators: true option) switch between the built-in Kernel functionality and the overloaded functionality depending on if we are in a guard-clause or not.

Maybe providing proper error messages when doing it like that is possible as well… :smiley:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews