henriquesati

henriquesati

I’m passing a string to decimal.new() and instead of a float it’s returning some data type that not allows me to do aritmetic expressions

 def get_USD_amount_basedOn_BRL(brl_amount) do
    {_status_code, brl_usd_price_str} = get_brl_usd()
    brl_usd_price = Decimal.new(brl_usd_price_str)
    IO.inspect(brl_usd_price)
  end
end

output expected:

5.65

output received:

Decimal.new("5.5936")

error received when I try to execut arithmetic expressions

** (ArithmeticError) bad argument in arithmetic expression
    (testes_pay 0.1.0) lib/UsdBrl.ex:24: UsdBrl.get_USD_amount_basedOn_BRL/1
    lib/main.ex:25: (file)

Showing Posts 1 to 4

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

Decimal.new/1 returns a Decimal struct. You need to use the Decimal module to do arithmetic operations.

iex(3)> d1 = Decimal.new("5.5623")
Decimal.new("5.5623")
iex(4)> d2 = Decimal.new("3.12")
Decimal.new("3.12")
iex(5)> Decimal.mult(d1, d2)
Decimal.new("17.354376")
iex(6)> Decimal.mult(d1, d2) |> Decimal.round(3)
Decimal.new("17.354")
iex(7)> Decimal.mult(d1, d2) |> Decimal.round(3) |> Decimal.to_float
17.354

Using the decimal for calculations is strongly recommended as using floats is not precise(Floating-point arithmetic - Wikipedia) and can lead to thing like this:

iex(9)> 0.1 + 0.2
0.30000000000000004
# Instead use Decimal
iex(10)> Decimal.add(Decimal.from_float(0.1), Decimal.from_float(0.2)) |> Decimal.to_float
0.3

Check Decimal — Decimal v3.1.1 for more information.

In addition if you are working with money you might want to check out: ex_money | Hex. It is very comprehensive but may be overkill for your situation.

henriquesati

henriquesati OP

Thanks! and it is possible to turn the final data after all the operations into a normal decimal number?

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

Yes. The Decimal module has got functions to convert the result into integers, floats and strings. Often you don’t have to convert it back to a float or other numbers but just to strings for the presentation layer.

EDIT: Some exampels

iex(11)> Decimal.to_string(d1)
"5.5623"
iex(12)> Decimal.to_float(d1)
5.5623
iex(13)> Decimal.round(d1, 0) |> Decimal.to_integer
6
jswanner

jswanner

DecimalEnv can make it less verbose to deal with decimal arithmetic

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews