kip
ex_cldr Core Team
I’m hoping smarter eyes than mine can help me resolve this issue. I am attempting to convert a decimal to an integer. The Decimal implementation uses guard clauses to decide if such as conversion is possible (good!). But for some reason I’m seeing guard clauses fail even when the data looks like it should pass. Here’s the example:
# A decimal. Shouldn't be able to be converted to an integer
# but it looks like the guards for the third clause should match and I
# don't know why they aren't!
iex> d = Decimal.new("1234.50")
#Decimal<1234.50>
# Here's what the struct underneath looks like:
iex> inspect d, structs: false
"%{__struct__: Decimal, coef: 123450, exp: -2, sign: 1}"
# Lets check the remainder of the coef
iex> Kernel.rem(d.coef,10)
0
# Error raises on conversion suggesting no guards match but
# I think the third clause should match?
iex> Decimal.to_integer d
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Decimal.to_integer/1
The following arguments were given to Decimal.to_integer/1:
# 1
#Decimal<1234.5>
Attempted function clauses (showing 3 out of 3):
def to_integer(%Decimal{sign: sign, coef: coef, exp: 0}) when is_integer(coef)
def to_integer(%Decimal{sign: sign, coef: coef, exp: exp}) when is_integer(coef) and exp > 0
def to_integer(%Decimal{sign: sign, coef: coef, exp: exp}) when is_integer(coef) and exp < 0 and rem(coef, 10) == 0
(decimal 2.0.0) lib/decimal.ex:1322: Decimal.to_integer/1
But in my example is_integer(coef) == true and exp < 0 == true and rem(coef, 10) == 0 so why isn’t this clause being executed?
Probably an issue with me staring at a screen for too long so any guidance appreciated.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Aetherus
I copied and pasted all your statements into my Livebook, and I got the same error
Aetherus
I did my experiment by copy and paste:
and it prints
So, the “problem” occurs when trying to do
to_integer(%Decimal{sign: 1, coef: 12345, exp: -1}).Maybe
Decimaldoes not want you to do anything ambiguous about the fraction part.kip
Thanks very much for following this through. And spotting my silly error - which is to not notice that the third clause is recursive (as it needs to be). I know that the number can’t be converted to an integer, I just couldn’t see why it wouldn’t match on the third clause. And indeed it does match on the first pass. I missed that it was recursing and not matching on a later pass (in fact there is an accepted PR that handles this error case better then the published version).
Thanks again.
wojtekmach
I think latest Decimal should have a proper error message. Or maybe that change wasn’t released yet. If still have a bad error message, that’s definitely a bug and please report it!
kip
@wojtekmach Its in Decimal master, but not yet released. No rush on my side, just a temporary failure of my limited cognitive powers today.