dpreston
Is there a built-in way to decode json that has a list of objects that are not decoded to the same struct, and the list is not at the root of the json?
Its a large, deeply nested json payload from a 3rd party, and I would prefer not to recursively decode and replace each list, but thats the only solution I have so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Poison can do this if the list is the root,
defmodule TypeA do
defstruct shared: "", only_a: ""
end
defmodule TypeB do
defstruct shared: "", only_b: ""
end
options = fn
%{only_a: _a} -> %TypeA{}
%{only_b: _b} -> %TypeB{}
end
"""
[
{
"shared": "value",
"only_a": "A!"
},
{
"shared": "value",
"only_b": "B!"
}
]
"""
|> Poison.decode!([keys: :atoms!, as: [options]])
[
%TypeA{shared: "value", only_a: "A!"},
%TypeB{shared: "value", only_b: "B!"}
]
but if there is a parent struct, the children objects just decode to plain maps.
defmodule Parent do
defstruct children: []
end
"""
{
"children": [
{
"shared": "value",
"only_a": "A!"
},
{
"shared": "value",
"only_b": "B!"
}
]
}
"""
|> Poison.decode!( as: %Parent{})
%Parent{
children: [
%{"only_a" => "A!", "shared" => "value"},
%{"only_b" => "B!", "shared" => "value"}
]
}
I’ve tried adding the as: function to the %Parent{} struct definition, but its not a valid value.
defmodule Parent do
children = fn
%{only_a: _a} -> %TypeA{}
%{only_b: _b} -> %TypeB{}
end
defstruct children: children # <- invalid value
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mudasobwa
Another option would be a custom
Poison’s encoder implementation for structs likeParent.I would nevertheless stick with straight parsing into maps and then upgrading them to structs with
update_in/3throughAccess. That’d be more explicit. Likedpreston
Thanks @mudasobwa, for prompting me to dig further into the decoders
I’ve gone with custom Poison decoders for each of the relevant structs. It’s really simple to just add the possible structs to the
children_typesin the decode function and it catches them all on the first pass instead of needing to rewalk the object until all the structs have been matched.