nesimtunc
Hi,
I was writing code like this:
def create(conn, %{"device" => device_params}) do
device = Devices.get_device_by_id(device_params["device_id"])
case device do
nil ->
with {:ok, %Device{} = device} <- Devices.create_device(device_params) do
conn
|> put_status(:created)
|> render("show.json", device: device)
end
_ ->
device_params = Map.merge(device_params, %{"session_count" => device.session_count + 1})
with {:ok, %Device{} = device} <- Devices.update_device(device, device_params) do
render(conn, "show.json", device: device)
end
end
end
Thanks to Phoenix Tests it failed due to a security issue.
** (ArgumentError) comparison with nil is forbidden as it is unsafe. If you want to check if a value is nil, use is_nil/1 instead
code: conn = post(conn, Routes.device_path(conn, :create), device: @invalid_attrs)
My purpose is using one single route (POST) for client side, when the client app runs, it always makes POST call doesn’t have a PUT logic on client side for some reasons so I needed this approach even I don’t like it.
So, I did some research about the problem and I saw Jose Valim’s comments on GitHub issues and try to solve it via on_conflict feature of Ecto. Then I learnt (from another GitHub issue) that can’t be done in PostgreSQL adapter, we have to use fragment.
This is going to be very common usage for the app, I’ll eventually need to create or update data(s) such way. So, what’s the best practice without creating vulnerabilities?
Thank you all!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
qgnox
Use the ecto upsert funcionality