TrailingDots
In the source code I find this pattern repeated over and over.
As an example, in the elixir-1.5.3/lib/elixir/lib/enum.ex I find:
@spec reduce(t, acc, reducer) :: result
def reduce(enumerable, acc, fun)
The “def reduce…” has no “do” block. Almost all specs in this
file follow this pattern. Some do not.
Is this a “template” of some sort?
I’ve looked but can’t find an explanation.
What is this pattern called?
What changes when a spec has this and some specs do not?
Is this “def” without a “do” related to a “spec” at all? If not,
then what does this syntax provide?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
It’s called a body less clause, and in this case used only to name params for the docs, as they are used only as patterns in the following clauses and the names given by the algorithm were not very good.
This kind of vodyless clause is optional.
If though you do use default arguments in functions that have multiple clauses a bodyless clause specifying the default arguments is mandatory.
TrailingDots
Thanks! Now that I know the name, “bodyless clause”, I
found something about this bugger.
None of my Elixir books or searches of “def without do”
or similar guesses offered any illumination.
Thanks again!

lalo2302
It also helps the compiler when you have multiple definitions with default values. For example
Try it without the bodyless clause and it should display a warning. (It should, but I’m on mobile so I can’t be sure).
I don’t know exactly why, I just discovered it a few days ago.
OvermindDL1
You can only have one default clause per function, so if you have many heads then you put it on the bodyless clause.
TrailingDots
Most interesting OvermindDL1.
I get warning messages that finally error out.
Interesting to try various compiler suggested mods.
I don’t thoroughly understand it either, but thanks for the tip.