jason.o

jason.o

I’m trying to provide a default value (which is a name retrieved from a DB) to an input tag. When the form is mounted, the default value in the “name” field input box is populated as expected. Then the user enters a different name to replace the default value, and it changes with no problem. However, when the user then enters a value to the other input (“Code” field), the Name field goes back to the initial default value. How can I make the form keep the user input (after the form validation)? Or is there a better way to provide a default input value?

<.form :let={f} phx-change="validate">
<.input field={{f, :name}} type="text" label="Name" value={@dynamic_default_name}>

<.input field={{f, :code}} type="text" label="Code" >
</.form>
def handle_event("validate", %{"form" => form_params}, socket) do
   form = AshPhoenix.Form.validate(socket.assigns.form, form_params)

  socket
   |> assign(:form, form)
  |> noreply()
end

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

There are three ways to do it. The first, is to set the default in the action logic

change fn changeset, _ -> 
  if ...(check if argument or attribute set w/ your name) do
    Ash.Changeset.change_attribute(:name, dynamic_default)
  else
    changeset
  end
end

The second one:

<.input field={{f, :name}} type="text" label="Name" value={AshPhoenix.Form.value(f, :name) || @dynamic_default_name}>

The third one, when creating the initial form

form = AshPhoenix.Form.for_create(...)
AshPhoenix.Form.validate(form, %{...params with deafult})
ndan

ndan

Using AshPhoenix.Form.validate in handle_params causes my form to briefly display errors on page load.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Try doing AshPhoenix.Form.validate(form, %{...params}, errors: false)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews