jmnda

jmnda

How can I define another action apart from register_with_password for creating users? My implementation here for the register_with_password(overrides the one from AshAuthentication) action accepts an organization argument as a map, this creates a user and an organization. Now I want define another action for creating organization users(like an admin adding users to an org), this action will accept an organization_id instead, since an organization already exists and am just relating it to a user. I have tried to duplicate the register_with_password with a different name like this:

    create :register_internal_user do
      allow_nil_input [:hashed_password]
      accept [:email]

      argument :password, :string do
        sensitive? true
        constraints min_length: 8, max_length: 32
      end

      argument :password_confirmation, :string do
        sensitive? true
        constraints min_length: 8, max_length: 32
      end

      argument :user_profile, :map, allow_nil?: false
      argument :organization_id, :uuid, allow_nil?: false

      validate AshAuthentication.Strategy.Password.PasswordConfirmationValidation
      change AshAuthentication.Strategy.Password.HashPasswordChange
      change AshAuthentication.GenerateTokenChange

      change manage_relationship(:organization_id, :organization, type: :append_and_remove)
      change manage_relationship(:user_profile, type: :direct_control)
    end

action but am getting an error in the changeset:

...
errors: [
    %Ash.Error.Framework.AssumptionFailed{
      message: "Action does not correlate with an authentication strategy",
      splode: nil,
      bread_crumbs: [],
      vars: [],
      path: [],
      stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>,
      class: :framework
    }
  ]
...

How can I implement this action?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I believe what you need to do is set the strategy option on the changes/validations. For example:

It worked automatically for the register with password action because we could find the strategy from the action name.

jmnda

jmnda OP

I have tried your suggestion of adding strategy: password to changes/validations like so:

      validate {AshAuthentication.Strategy.Password.PasswordConfirmationValidation,
                strategy: :password}

      change {AshAuthentication.Strategy.Password.HashPasswordChange, strategy: :password}
      change {AshAuthentication.GenerateTokenChange, strategy: :password}

however am still getting the same error, here is the changeset:

{:error,
 %Ash.Error.Framework{
   changeset: #Ash.Changeset<
     domain: Fleetms.Accounts,
     action_type: :create,
     action: :register_internal_user,
     attributes: %{
       id: "5bbf776d-9381-4792-a73a-7b6c01119607",
       created_at: ~U[2024-04-28 15:32:33.992334Z],
       updated_at: ~U[2024-04-28 15:32:33.992334Z],
       email: #Ash.CiString<"u@example.com">
     },
     relationships: %{
       organization: [
         {[%{id: "bc3e1509-9c5a-4a5b-9a46-2f58b667ccd6"}],
          [
            ignore?: false,
            on_missing: :unrelate,
            on_match: :ignore,
            on_lookup: :relate,
            on_no_match: :error,
            eager_validate_with: false,
            authorize?: true,
            meta: [inputs_was_list?: false, id: :organization_id],
            type: :append_and_remove
          ]}
       ],
       user_profile: [
         {[%{first_name: "Jack"}],
          [
            ignore?: false,
            on_missing: :destroy,
            on_match: :update,
            on_lookup: :ignore,
            on_no_match: :create,
            eager_validate_with: false,
            authorize?: true,
            meta: [inputs_was_list?: false, id: :user_profile],
            type: :direct_control
          ]}
       ]
     },
     arguments: %{
       password: "**redacted**",
       organization_id: "bc3e1509-9c5a-4a5b-9a46-2f58b667ccd6",
       user_profile: %{first_name: "Jack"},
       password_confirmation: "**redacted**"
     },
     errors: [
       %Ash.Error.Framework.AssumptionFailed{
         message: "Action does not correlate with an authentication strategy",
         splode: Ash.Error,
         bread_crumbs: [],
         vars: [],
         path: [],
         stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>,
         class: :framework
       }
     ],
     data: #Fleetms.Accounts.User<
       user_profile: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :user_profile>,
       organization: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :organization>,
       __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, "users">,
       id: nil,
       email: nil,
       username: nil,
       created_at: nil,
       updated_at: nil,
       organization_id: nil,
       aggregates: %{},
       calculations: %{},
       ...
     >,
     valid?: false
   >,
   query: nil,
   action_input: nil,
   errors: [
     %Ash.Error.Framework.AssumptionFailed{
       message: "Action does not correlate with an authentication strategy",
       splode: Ash.Error,
       bread_crumbs: [],
       vars: [],
       path: [],
       stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>,
       class: :framework
     }
   ],
   splode: Ash.Error,
   bread_crumbs: [],
   vars: [],
   path: [],
   stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>,
   class: :framework
 }}
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Ah, right sorry about that. Try adding this to your action, above the other changes/validations:

change set_context(%{strategy_name: :password})
jmnda

jmnda OP

Thank you Zach, that worked.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews