Papillon6814

Papillon6814

Hello. I’m not sure which way of defining table is better.

What I’d like to do

I’d like to define a teams table.
It should have name, size, and members which should have array of user_id. I have defined users table.

Implementation

So I think the migration file should be like

def change do
  create table(:teams) do
    add :name, :string, default: ""
    add :members, {:array, :integer}
    add :size, :integer

    timestamps()
  end
end

But in the table, members does not refer users table. So I’m wondering that it’s better to define teams and members.

teams

def change do
  create table(:teams) do
    add :name, :string, default: ""
    add :size, :integer

    timestamps()
  end
end

members

def change do
  create table(:members) do
    add :team_id, references(:teams, on_delete: :delete_all)
    add :member_id, references(:users, on_delete: :delete_all)

    timestamps()
  end
end

Which do you think better?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dmitrykleymenov

dmitrykleymenov

Is it possible for a user to be a member of more than one team? If not, i would just add team_id to users. If it’s possible, I prefer to implement M:M through proxy table(you’ve called them as members table)

Papillon6814

Papillon6814 OP

Yes! a user can be a member of multiple teams.
Thank you :smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews