trisolaran

trisolaran

I’m not a macro expert, so maybe someone can help me understand this.

I want to define attributes in my function component from a list. I’ve used the following approach successfully with Ecto schemas in the past:

@list_of_fields ~w(field1 field2 field3 ... )a

for field_name <- @list_of_fields do 
   field field_name, :string
end

But when I try to do the same with a function component:

@list_of_attributes ~w(attr1 attr2 attr3 ... )a

for attr_name <- @list_of_attributes do 
   attr attr_name, :string
end

I get a lovely:

== Compilation error in file lib/live_select.ex ==
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Phoenix.Component."MACRO-attr"/4    
    
    The following arguments were given to Phoenix.Component."MACRO-attr"/4:
    
        # 1
        #Macro.Env<aliases: [{ChangeMsg, LiveSelect.ChangeMsg}], context: nil, context_modules: [LiveSelect], file: "/Users/max/code/live_select/lib/live_select.ex", function: nil, functions: [{Phoenix.Component, [assign: 2, assign: 3, assign_new: 3, assigns_to_attributes: 1, assigns_to_attributes: 2, changed?: 2, dynamic_tag: 1, focus_wrap: 1, form: 1, inputs_for: 1, intersperse: 1, link: 1, live_component: 1, live_file_input: 1, live_flash: 2, live_img_preview: 1, live_render: 2, live_render: 3, live_title: 1, to_form: 1, to_form: 2, update: 3, upload_errors: 1, upload_errors: 2]}, {Kernel, [!=: 2, !==: 2, *: 2, **: 2, +: 1, +: 2, ++: 2, -: 1, -: 2, --: 2, /: 2, <: 2, <=: 2, ==: 2, ===: 2, =~: 2, >: 2, >=: 2, abs: 1, apply: 2, apply: 3, binary_part: 3, binary_slice: 2, binary_slice: 3, bit_size: 1, byte_size: 1, ceil: 1, div: 2, elem: 2, exit: 1, floor: 1, function_exported?: 3, get_and_update_in: 3, get_in: 2, hd: 1, inspect: 1, inspect: 2, is_atom: 1, is_binary: 1, is_bitstring: 1, ...]}, {Phoenix.LiveView.Helpers, [live_file_input: 2, live_img_preview: 2, live_patch: 1, live_patch: 2, live_redirect: 1, live_redirect: 2, live_title_tag: 1, live_title_tag: 2]}], lexical_tracker: #PID<0.252.0>, line: 262, macro_aliases: [], macros: [{Phoenix.Component.Declarative, [def: 2, defp: 2]}, {Phoenix.Component, [attr: 2, attr: 3, embed_templates: 1, embed_templates: 2, render_slot: 1, render_slot: 2, sigil_H: 2, slot: 1, slot: 2, slot: 3]}, {Kernel, [!: 1, &&: 2, ..: 0, ..: 2, ..//: 3, <>: 2, @: 1, alias!: 1, and: 2, binding: 0, binding: 1, dbg: 0, dbg: 1, dbg: 2, def: 1, defdelegate: 2, defexception: 1, defguard: 1, defguardp: 1, defimpl: 2, defimpl: 3, defmacro: 1, defmacro: 2, defmacrop: 1, defmacrop: 2, defmodule: 2, defoverridable: 1, defp: 1, defprotocol: 2, defstruct: 1, destructure: 2, get_and_update_in: 2, if: 2, in: 2, is_exception: 1, ...]}, {Phoenix.LiveView.Helpers, [live_component: 2, live_component: 3, render_block: 1, render_block: 2, sigil_L: 2]}], module: LiveSelect, requires: [Application, Kernel, Kernel.Typespec, Phoenix.Component, Phoenix.Component.Declarative, Phoenix.LiveView.Helpers, Phoenix.Template], ...>
    
        # 2
        {:attr_name, [line: 262], nil}
    
        # 3
        :string
    
        # 4
        []
    
    (phoenix_live_view 0.18.13) lib/phoenix_component.ex:1824: Phoenix.Component."MACRO-attr"/4
    (phoenix_live_view 0.18.13) expanding macro: Phoenix.Component.attr/2
    lib/live_select.ex:262: LiveSelect (module)

Why does it work in one case but not in the other? Is there a way to make it work?

Cheers

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

In ecto the context is the schema macro, which was probably made to be able to deal with for to define fields. For function component attributes you likely need to use unquote to pass the arguments to attr for things to work.

trisolaran

trisolaran OP

Thanks @LostKobrakai . I had tried that already earlier, and just to be sure I tried it again:

for attr_name <- @list_of_attributes do 
   attr unquote(attr_name), unquote(:string)
end

And I get the same error with of course a different list of arguments:

...

# 2
{:unquote, [line: 261], [{:attr_name, [line: 261], nil}]}
    
# 3
{:unquote, [line: 261], [:string]}
    
# 4
[]

If I also try to unquote the last optional argument ([]) with:

attr unquote(attr_name), unquote(:string), unquote([])

I get a different error:

== Compilation error in file lib/live_select.ex ==
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Phoenix.Component.attr/3    
    (phoenix_live_view 0.18.13) expanding macro: Phoenix.Component.attr/3
    lib/live_select.ex:261: LiveSelect (module)

I’m actually a bit confused, I thought unquote can only be used inside a quote block?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You can use unquote in module bodies as well.

trisolaran

trisolaran OP

I found it. If I just copy the code wrapped by the attr/3 macro and do:

for attr_name <- @list_of_attributes do
    Phoenix.Component.Declarative.__attr__!(
      __MODULE__,
      attr_name,
      :string,
      [],
      __ENV__.line,
      __ENV__.file
    )
  end

it works.

I bet the problem are simply the guards in attr/3, specifically the is_atom(name) guard.
When calling the macro from the for comprehension for some reason name is not the atom behind attr_name but the AST representation of the variable attr_name ({:attr_name, [line: 262], nil}), which doesn’t pass the guard.

I guess it makes sense in retrospect: the AST representation of an atom is an atom, but the AST of a variable bound to an atom is not.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews