BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid

I have a couple of questions around preloading, please.

I’m using the ‘hierarchical relationships within a single schema’ example in the Schema.has_many/3 examples section for threaded discussions/nested comments, and preloading a few levels of nesting:

  schema "comments" do
    field :votes_aggregate, :integer, [default: 0]
    belongs_to :parent, Comment, [foreign_key: :parent_id, references: :id, define_field: false]
    has_many :children, Comment, [foreign_key: :parent_id, references: :id]
    # ...
  end
  @doc """
  Gets children comments of one or multiple comments.
  """
  def get_child_comments_by_comment_ids(ids) when is_list(ids) do
    Comment
    |> select([c], map(c, [:id, :parent_id, :content, :votes_aggregate, :inserted_at]))
    |> where([c], c.parent_id in ^ids)
    |> order_by([c], [desc: c.votes_aggregate, asc: c.inserted_at])
    |> preload_comment_children()
    |> Repo.all()
    |> Enum.map(&process_comment/1)
  end

  defp preload_comment_children(query) do
    from c0 in query,
      left_join: u0 in assoc(c0, :user),
      left_join: c1 in assoc(c0, :children),
      left_join: u1 in assoc(c1, :user),
      left_join: c2 in assoc(c1, :children),
      left_join: u2 in assoc(c2, :user),
      left_join: c3 in assoc(c2, :children),
      left_join: u3 in assoc(c3, :user),
      left_join: c4 in assoc(c3, :children),
      left_join: u4 in assoc(c4, :user),
      preload: [
        user: u0,
        children: {
          c1, user: u1, children: {
            c2, user: u2, children: {
              c3, user: u3, children: {
                c4, user: u4
              }
            }
          }
        },
      ]
  end

This gives nested lists and maps (some recursive post-processing is done to simplify and sort the maps and to replace the value of not-yet-preloaded children keys with :has_children where there are more-deeply nested children to load via ‘show more’ buttons):

  [             
    %{                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      children: [                                                                                                     
        %{                                           
          children: [                                  
            %{                                            
              children: [            
                %{           
                  children: [],
                  content: "Sed quaerat architecto...",                                                                                           
                  id: "ce4a3544-3101-4d60-99eb-f4cb8ada847d",                                                                                                                                                                                
                  inserted_at: ~U[2024-07-04 21:24:50.628226Z],                                                                                                                                                                              
                  parent_id: "4d5bb762-cd8f-44c7-9d2a-3e06fb02a508",                    
                  user: %{name: "brock2048"},    
                  votes_aggregate: 10              
                },                
                %{       
                  children: [
                    %{
                      children: [
                        %{
                          children: [
                            %{
                              children: :has_children,
                              content: "Sunt eum accusamus...",
                              id: "f9b97ce6-a8b5-4876-8790-05f102c1bcdf",
                              inserted_at: ~U[2024-07-04 21:25:15.207419Z],
                              parent_id: "62cff42f-b449-435b-a11f-8e06a0ae7f87",
                              user: %{name: "lesley_murazik"},
                              votes_aggregate: 8
                            }

1. Preloading depth

How could the depth of the self-referencing preloading be set to a number instead of being dependent on how many joins and preloads are written out in code, or even to keep going until all nested comments have been loaded?

2. Ordering preloaded results

Less importantly…

I understand I can’t use the schema’s has_many preload_order option because I’m preloading a join in order to avoid multiple database queries. (Github discussion here.) At the moment, I’m re-ordering the preloaded comments in my recursive processing with a couple of calls of Enum.sort_by/3:

    comments
    |> Enum.sort_by(&(&1.inserted_at), :asc)
    |> Enum.sort_by(&(&1.votes_aggregate), :desc)

This gives the same ordering of preloaded comments as |> order_by([c], [desc: c.votes_aggregate, asc: c.inserted_at]) does for the main comments query.

I was wondering how complicated it would be to order preloaded results as part of the querying, but I don’t understand how this would be achieved while preloading a join?

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Sorry for the non-answer but you could look at how Arbor does it. It uses recursive CTEs without explicit preloads.

garrison

garrison

To expand on your (non-)answer:

If you want to preload to a particular depth, you could probably write some code to dynamically construct the query. I’m not sure exactly how this would look (read: I’m too lazy to go read the docs) but I’m pretty sure it would be possible to keep adding the joins dynamically up to a certain depth. Perhaps you would hit a limit somewhere, I’m not sure.

If you want to do a query to arbitrary depth, you’re going to have to write a recursive query “by hand” (with Ecto) instead of using preloads. These are tricky to write, but it will work (I have done it before). I recommend consulting the docs from both Postgres and Ecto and then reading some StackOverflow answers for examples.

Once you have the rows you are going to have to manually stitch them back into a tree. I am going from memory here but I think the simplest algorithm I came up with for this was to use Enum.group_by on the rows to group them by parent_id and then use a recursive function to place the children into a children field on each parent, recursively, until the tree is built.

That sounds hard but it wasn’t really so bad. Writing recursive queries, on the other hand, sucks.

Oh, and with respect to order: the “stitching” I mentioned, if done correctly, should preserve the original order of the input rows (a property of Enum.group_by). So if you order the rows in the recursive query, everything comes out right. You may need to reason through it to convince yourself of this (I did), but it does work.

BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid OP

Thanks very much, both. I’ve now switched to using Arbor as I did end up needing to fully load the trees.

I went with this. Thanks for the useful additional information.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews