fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’m working with Cachex to cache several types of data and I started running into problems with duplicate keys. I figured there are 2 solutions to that:

  1. Add prefixes to the keys.
  2. Start multiple instances of Cachex

Adding prefixes to provide a kind of “namespace” is simple enough, but it’s a bit smelly when using fetch and you provide a callback: the callback function will receive as its argument the namespaced key that was looked for. In my case, I would have to strip off that namespace prefix before I could do anything with that key.

When I tried to start up multiple instance of Cachex in my application, I thought I could just add multiple child workers per https://hexdocs.pm/cachex/getting-started.html#starting-your-cache

children = [
  supervisor(MyApp.Repo, []),
  # Namespaces for cache instances
  worker(Cachex, [:foo_cache, []]),
  worker(Cachex, [:bar_cache, []]),
]

opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: MyApp.Supervisor]
Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)

But trying to run the app in that configuration generates an error:

** (Mix) Could not start application my_app: MyApp.Application.start(:normal, ) returned an error: bad child specification, more than one child specification has the id: Cachex.
If using maps as child specifications, make sure the :id keys are unique.
If using a module or {module, arg} as child, use Supervisor.child_spec/2 to change the :id, for example:

children = [
  Supervisor.child_spec({MyWorker, arg}, id: :my_worker_1),
  Supervisor.child_spec({MyWorker, arg}, id: :my_worker_2)
]

I’ve tried adapting my arguments to the format suggested by that error message to something like this:

children = [
    Supervisor.child_spec({Cachex, [:foo_cache, []]}, id: :cachex1),
    Supervisor.child_spec({Cachex, [:bar_cache, []]}, id: :cachex2),
]

but that generates a different error:

** (Mix) Could not start application auth: MyApp.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: :foo_cache
    ** (EXIT) :invalid_name

Is it bad practice to try and spin up multiple instances of Cachex? Should I just suck it up and deal with manually prefixing keys? Or can someone show me how to properly declare multiple Cachex instances in my supervisor?

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Ah, I think figured it out:

worker(Cachex, [:foo_cache, []], id: :cachex_1),
worker(Cachex, [:bar_cache, []], id: :cachex_2),

But is that a good idea?

drl123

drl123

Had this problem too and Whitfin helped me get it going. You need to give the workers an id after the options that matches the cache name. Do something like this:

worker(Cachex, [:temp_cache, [expiration: expiration(default: :timer.minutes(10))]], id: :temp_cache),
worker(Cachex, [:main_cache, []], id: :main_cache),

This worked fine in my app. I needed on with a fixed/short TTL and another that was long-lived.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

It’s a fine idea. I have like 4 cache’s in my big project. ^.^;

factoryd

factoryd

I have like at least 12. haha

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Lol, wow, nice! ^.^

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews