snunezcr
I need to define a protocol for a scientific application based on quantities of various types. I want to use protocols since they abstract my code nicely. Is there a valid way to re-define math operators in protocols, e.g.
defprotocol PhysQuant do
@doc “Compute arithmetic operations”
def qa + qb
def qa - qb
def qa * qb
def qa / qb
def qa ^ qb
def exp(quantity)
def sin(quantity)
def cos(quantity)
def tan(quantity)
end
Thanks in advance.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Please use triple backtick blocks to format code: Markdown cheat sheet.
And no, Erlang and Elixir do not allow overriding of operators per se. You are much better off using function names like
add,sub,mul,div,modetc.ityonemo
It’s possible. You can un-import from Kernel and re-import. For example:
https://github.com/ityonemo/annex/blob/experimental/test/experimental/elixir_tensor_test.exs
However, it’s somewhat discouraged.
wojtekmach
Agreed. Another approach is to limit operator overrides to a macro call so that outside of it things continue to work as usual. Here’s a proof-of-concept I did for Decimal [1] a while ago:
[1] GitHub - wojtekmach/decimal_eval · GitHub
snunezcr
Thank you. The code in your link clarified many other questions I already had.
ityonemo
just keep in mind that 1) the changes are lexically scoped. That’s a good thing ™ since it contains the statefulness of potentially confusing conventions and 2) the changes are strictly opt-in, you can’t enforce it globally (AFAIK) and 3) they’re not composable. If someone else has a library that does that you can’t use it in the same code block as yours.