fazibear

fazibear

Showing Posts 1 to 5

madeinussr

madeinussr

Thank you @fazibear for such interesting library.

I have a question: what are cases make the table: :table_name definition worthy to be duplicated?

In your example:

defmodule UserQuery do
  use Defql

  defselect get(conds), table: :users
  definsert add(params), table: :users
  defupdate update(params, conds), table: :users
  defdelete delete(conds), table: :users

  defquery get_by_name(name, limit) do
    "SELECT * FROM users WHERE name = $name LIMIT $limit"
  end
end

Maybe you consider (architecturally) the possibility to have get/add/etc. queries to different tables within one xQuery module?

fazibear

fazibear OP

The table name is not duplicated. When you write the whole query with defquery you type table name inside a query string. But if you want to use other macros with are some kind of shortcuts for common queries, you have to provide a table name, but you don’t type any SQL.

madeinussr

madeinussr

Yes, I’m talking about shortcut-macros. I wonder: what if define table :table_name once in xQuery module, for all shortcut macros? Any downsides?

sztosz

sztosz

I can see use case where one table name per module has downsides. For example module

defmodule QueryHelpers do
  use Defql
  
  defselect get_users(conds), table: :users
  defselect get_accounts(conds), table: :accounts
  definsert add_user(params), table: :users
  definsert add_account(params), table: :accounts
 
  ...
end

Im not saying it’s a good solution, but having one table name per module, you would enforce programmer to write module per database table. I understand convenience, but rather advise against such restriction.

fazibear

fazibear OP

Yea! That could be possible. It’s worth considering. Maybe with syntax like this:

defmodule UserQuery do
  use Defql, table: :users

  defselect get(conds)
  definsert add(params)
  defupdate update(params, conds)
  defdelete delete(conds)
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews