nightfury17200

nightfury17200

hello everyone, I want to delete many keys from redis and for now I have created a list of keys and I am doing -

list_of_all_keys
    |> Enum.each(RedisClient.delete())

is there a better way?
Sorry if there is already a topic for this, I couldn’t find any so please reference it to me if there is.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

adamwight

adamwight

The Redis DEL command accepts multiple, space-separated keys for deletion (docs) like DEL key1 key2 key3, so there should be a way to do the same from a client library. I’m not sure which library you’re using, though? The thread is tagged with “redix” but that doesn’t include a RedisClient module.

From what you’ve written above, I might try something like:

Enum.join(list_of_all_keys, " ")
|> RedisClient.delete()

For the redix library, it would look something like,

Redix.command!(conn, ["DEL", Enum.join(list_of_all_keys, " ")])
nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

agreed that many keys can be passed with del in redis but

Enum.join(list_of_all_keys, " ")
|> RedisClient.delete()

does not work, for now I created a pipeline with a lots of del commands and it works

adamwight

adamwight

Can you share the code implementing RedisClient.delete, or a link to the library this module comes from? It’s hard to guess whether your delete method might already be able to accept an Enumerable like list_of_all_keys directly, or why it isn’t safely passing a space-separated list through to Redis.

If you only have a few keys to delete then it might not make much of a difference, but with many keys it becomes a big deal.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

FWIW, Redix uses the “RESP” format to communicate with Redis so joining arguments with spaces won’t do what you’d expect compared to the telnet interface:

Redix.command(@some_redis, ["DEL", "123 456"]) → asks to delete one key, 123 456

Redix.command(@some_redis, ["DEL", "123", "456"]) → asks to delete two keys, 123 and 456

nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

def delete(key),
        do: exec(:del, &Redix.command(&1,["DEL", key]))
NobbZ

NobbZ

Make that look look this:

def delete(keys) when is_list(keys), do: exec(:del, &Redix.command(&1,["DEL" | key]))
def delete(key), do: exec(:del, &Redix.command(&1,["DEL", key]))

And when you call the RedisClient.delete/1 pass it either a single key or a list of keys, if al2o3cr is right in what they say, then that will work.

nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

yeah it works, thanks.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews