odohMei7

odohMei7

I am new to phoenix and want to use it with gun to subscribe to websockets. But when I try this in a phoenix project, I get a dependency error. As a minimal example do the following:

$ mix phx.new --version
Phoenix v1.5.3
$ mix phx.new test --no-ecto
[...]

Then I add gun to the dependencies:

  defp deps do
    [
      {:phoenix, "~> 1.5.3"},
      {:phoenix_html, "~> 2.11"},
      {:phoenix_live_reload, "~> 1.2", only: :dev},
      {:phoenix_live_dashboard, "~> 0.2.0"},
      {:telemetry_metrics, "~> 0.4"},
      {:telemetry_poller, "~> 0.4"},
      {:gettext, "~> 0.11"},
      {:jason, "~> 1.0"},
      {:plug_cowboy, "~> 2.0"},
      {:gun, "~> 1.3.2"},
    ]
  end

But when I do mix deps.get I get the following error:

Resolving Hex dependencies...

Failed to use "cowlib" because
  gun (version 1.3.2) requires ~> 2.6.0
  mix.lock specifies 2.9.1

** (Mix) Hex dependency resolution failed, change the version requirements of your dependencies or unlock them (by using mix deps.update or mix deps.unlock). If you are unable to resolve the conflicts you can try overriding with {:dependency, "~> 1.0", override: true}

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You can probably unlock cowlib and do a mix deps.get again and it should resolve. Unless you really have some code depending on cowlib > 2.6.

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

Thank you but how exactly can I unlock something? I have never done that before.

And is this a bug? Or how would you use pheonix with gun?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This is not a bug. You installed phoenix, which then fetched the latest version of cowlib and locks the version in mix.lock (this happens for all your dependencies). gun however needs an earlier version of cowlib. You’re however unlikely to be using cowlib directly (transitive dependency) and it seems non of your direct dependencies actually conflicts with the version constraint of gun, so you should be able to safely do mix deps.unlock cowlib, mix deps.get. This will remove the lock on the currently installed version of cowlib and allow mix to resolve the selected version under those new constraints with gun.

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

OK thanks for the explanation. But it now produces a slightly different error for the minimal example from the beginning ot this thread (the 2.6.0 is green and the 2.9.1 red now)

$ mix deps.unlock cowlib
$ mix deps.get
Resolving Hex dependencies...

Failed to use "cowlib" (version 2.6.0) because
  cowboy (version 2.8.0) requires ~> 2.9.1
  gun (version 1.3.2) requires ~> 2.6.0

** (Mix) Hex dependency resolution failed, change the version requirements of your dependencies or unlock them (by using mix deps.update or mix deps.unlock). If you are unable to resolve the conflicts you can try overriding with {:dependency, "~> 1.0", override: true}

Does it have to do something with Mix phx.new deps error - cowlib - the dependency does not match the requirement ?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Ok, seems like there’s no version of phoenix 1.5, which depends on a cowboy/cowlib low enough to fulfill gun’s requirement. You could try to set the cowlib version in your mix.exs with override: true, but I’m not sure how much cowlib has changed.

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

Maybe I am wrong but does this mean that gun is outdated and should not depend on old cowlib, i.e. one (=the maintainers of gun) should release a new version of gun to resolve this issue?

I will try to override cowlib to a lower version.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Essentially you’re correct. The changes for http → http2 (and upcoming http3) did result in a bunch of updates on the cowboy/cowlib site of things and gun wasn’t updated. There seems to be work for gun 2.0 on github though.

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

So now I have

  defp deps do
    [
      {:phoenix, "~> 1.5.3"},
      {:phoenix_html, "~> 2.11"},
      {:phoenix_live_reload, "~> 1.2", only: :dev},
      {:phoenix_live_dashboard, "~> 0.2.0"},
      {:telemetry_metrics, "~> 0.4"},
      {:telemetry_poller, "~> 0.4"},
      {:gettext, "~> 0.11"},
      {:jason, "~> 1.0"},
      {:plug_cowboy, "~> 2.0"},
      {:cowlib, "~> 2.6.0", override: true},
      {:gun, "~> 1.3.2"},
    ]
  end

And it seems to work:

$ mix deps.get
Resolving Hex dependencies...
Dependency resolution completed:
Unchanged:
  cowboy 2.8.0
  file_system 0.2.8
  gettext 0.18.0
  jason 1.2.1
  mime 1.3.1
  phoenix 1.5.3
  phoenix_html 2.14.2
  phoenix_live_dashboard 0.2.6
  phoenix_live_reload 1.2.4
  phoenix_live_view 0.13.3
  phoenix_pubsub 2.0.0
  plug 1.10.3
  plug_cowboy 2.3.0
  plug_crypto 1.1.2
  ranch 1.7.1
  telemetry 0.4.2
  telemetry_metrics 0.5.0
  telemetry_poller 0.5.1
New:
  cowlib 2.6.0
  gun 1.3.2
* Updating cowlib (Hex package)
* Getting gun (Hex package)
$ mix compile
===> Compiling cowlib
===> Compiling cowboy
===> Compiling gun
==> plug_cowboy
Compiling 6 files (.ex)
Generated plug_cowboy app
==> phoenix
Compiling 66 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix app
==> phoenix_live_reload
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_live_reload app
==> phoenix_live_view
Compiling 18 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_live_view app
==> phoenix_live_dashboard
Compiling 33 files (.ex)
Generated phoenix_live_dashboard app
==> test
Compiling 13 files (.ex)
Generated test app

But can this override cause any problems? Or am I on the safe side whenever it compiles as it apparently did?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yes. Cowlib could work differently than gun expects, and there can be bugs at runtime. It is quite possible that it isn’t possible to use Phoenix 1.5 and gun 1.3 together at all.

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

Too bad. But is there a way of using two versions of cowlib at the same time, one for gun 1.3 and another for Phoenix 1.5?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews