thbar
Hi there,
I’m in the process of deploying a Phoenix app to a EU host (UpCloud specifically), where the instances provided are mostly raw VMs with an init script (you can manage the VMs with Terraform & Ansible later if needed).
I am interested to hear about people who went that road recently:
- building releases locally & pushing them via SSH, to start (I’m working locally on Mac OS)
- picking a server (nginx/caddie versus raw cowboy/bandit with SSL?)
- later : building releases on the code hosting (e.g. GitHub) & do CD from there
- potentially, the init scripts that you may have used
- no docker necessarily for now, but that may come later
What are your preferred resources, scripts & snippets to achieve that?
I went through the forum but so far found mostly outdated advice.
Thanks!
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Dmk
I just created GitHub - dmkenney/xamal: Deploy Elixir apps to bare metal servers. Like Kamal, but with native releases + Caddy instead of Docker. · GitHub - which is has the same principals and ergonomics as Kamal - just removes the need for Docker on the server. So you build your Elixir release and it uses SSH to push it the server(s). Caddy is installed on the server and is used for SSL if desired, and also for 0-downtime deploys.
I had previously been using Kamal and loved it - but really wanted to remove the Docker dependency on the server for various reasons.
Using this now for two different apps, and it working well.
vkryukov
What about the database? How do you get it installed / connected on the target host with xamal?
Dmk
Xamal doesn’t have anything to do with the DB. I use Ansible for provisioning the VPS - which handles installing and configuring the DB as well as anything else I need.
Kamal has the notion of accesories (of which a DB can be one) if that’s more your style.
Dmk
Just a note here as well - I’m also thinking of creating a download script up in the next few days so you don’t have to clone the repo and build it locally. I’ll just upload the escript directly to GitHub and have a shell script that downloads it somewhere on the path.
jaysoifer
Would love to see some updates here
I am embarking on this journey right now and there isn’t much documentation available online or blog posts. I might also end up writing my own though between learning, doing, and then documenting… this will take a while
Potions
One deployment-related update is that I launched Potions (potions.io), built specifically for deploying Elixir apps to your own VPS.
jaysoifer
This looks really neet! Though this is an UpCloud thread, right? Can I use potions for it?
sntran
I tackle deployment a bit different than the cloud providers. Currently I create a single file (thanks for Cosmopolitan library) ERTS that can run your release in many OSes. A single file, bundling your whole Elixir/Erlang app too. If that is something you are interested, let me know.
Potions
Not yet, but I have thought about adding UpCloud to the supported VPS providers (currently DigitalOcean and Hetzner). If it would help you, let me know!
jaysoifer
I have no idea how that would work
I am definitely curious about it – not sure if it is worth your time explaining it