krisleech
When deserializing Avro, using AvroEx, I was getting an error, so I decided to start with a simple example to see how thing work.
However while I don’t get an error in this case I do get the wrong data back.
The data is serialized in a Ruby application as follows:
id = 1
encoder = AvroTurf.new(schemas_path: Rails.root.join("kafka_schemas"))
message = encoder.encode({ "a" => id}, schema_name: "test")
File.write("/tmp/message.avro", message)
and then deserialized as follows in Elixir:
schema = AvroEx.decode_schema!(File.read!("#{:code.priv_dir(:kafka)}/schemas/test.avsc"))
p = File.read!("/tmp/message.avro")
%{ "a" => id } = AvroEx.decode!(schema, p)
id # => -40
As you can see I get a different id back, -40 versus 1.
The schema both are reading is as follows:
{
"type": "record",
"name": "test",
"doc": "Test",
"fields": [
{
"name": "a",
"type": "int"
}
]
}
Is it possible this is due to the encoding of the file, versus raw bytes… I tried using File.writebin on the Ruby side and it creates the same file (same checksum).
Many thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
krisleech
I tried using Avrora and it works just fine. I’m not sure but I think the issue might have been because AvroEx works with plain Avro without headers or embedded schema.