slashmili

slashmili

I have a question about code design in Elixir.

I’m writing a library that works with bluetooth and I want to make it general so developers can customize based on their own use case .

An example behaviour is when a new device is discovered, I want to notify the user’s code that a new device is discovered.

So I have few approaches but I’m not happy with any of them.

1: using message passing between processes

defmodule Bluetooth do
  def start_discovery(handler_pid) do
    #....
    #eventually will send a message to `handler_pid` when a device is discovered
    #ex: send(handler_pid, {:device_discovered, device})
    :ok
  end
end

This looks fine if only I could have a behaviour like this

defmodule BluetoothDiscovery do
  @callback handle_info({:device_discovered, any}, any) :: any
end

This way users that implement the code explicitly know to implement this function.
I can technically use this but looks weird and compiler won’t complain about missing function if I have another handle_info in my module for example:

defmodule MyBluetoothDiscovery do
  use GenServer
  @behaviour BluetoothDiscovery
  def handle_info(:timeout, state) do
  end
end

2: using function callbacks

defmodule Bluetooth do
  def start_discovery(handler_module) do
    #....
    #eventually will call device_discovered function on handler_module
    #ex: apply(handler_module, :device_discovered, [device])
    :ok
  end
end

Now I can define a behaviour and ask users to implement it

defmodule BluetoothDiscovery do
  @callback device_discovered(device) :: atom
end

This time the compiler gives me warning if I missed the implementation

defmodule MyBluetoothDiscovery do
  use GenServer
  @behaviour BluetoothDiscovery
  def device_discovered(device) do
    #handle new device
  end
end

This also looks fine but reminds me of interfaces in OOP land.

Do you have any suggestion?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

What I do is:

  • If the user should always handle the callback in their own process so they cannot screw up ‘my’ process in any way (like exceptioning and such) or if they might take a while, then send a message.
  • If the user is generally fast or just want them to handle it inline, faster, or let them send their own message then I use a behaviour.

:slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews