gmile

gmile

In my application I need to perform multiple things during transaction:

  1. call HTTP and load some data form a microservice,
  2. update some DB records,
  3. add a new record DB record,
  4. send an SMS verification code.

Ecto.Multi suites this purpose very well, but it looks like I’m facing some roadblocks with it. I need someone else’s opinion on my design.

Currently the code for process above looks like this:

# declaration_controller.ex
def create(conn, %{declaration: declaration_attrs} do
  case DeclarationAPI.create(declaration_attrs) do
    {:ok, %{declaration: declaration} = result} ->
      render(conn, "show.json", result)
    {:error, key, reason, _}
      render(conn, "error.json", %{key => reason})
  end
end

# declaration_api.ex
def create_declaration(declaration_attrs) do
  Repo.transaction(new_declaration_request(declaration_attrs))
end

def new_declaration(declaration_attrs) do
  settings = SettingsMicroserviceAPI.get()

  Multi.new
  |> Multi.update_all(:pending_declarations, pending_declarations_query(declaration_attrs), set: [status: "CANCELLED"])
  |> Multi.insert(:declaration, changeset(declaration_attrs, settings))
  |> Multi.run(:verification_code, Verification, :send_verification_code, [declaration_attrs])
end

There’s a problem with this design. Sometimes SettingsMicroserviceAPI.get() HTTP call will not return expected data: it may stumble upon 404 or even time out. In this case transaction has to be rolled back gracefully, and an error saying something along the lines SettingsMicroserviceAPI has timed out
should be returned to user who requested the initial create action.

So I thought: why don’t I add this HTTP call as a Multi step like this?:

Multi.new
|> Multi.run(:fetch_settings, fn _ -> SettingsMicroserviceAPI.get() end)
|> Multi.update_all(:pending_declarations, pending_declarations_query(declaration_attrs), set: [status: "CANCELLED"])
# ...

However in this case there’s no way I can access the settings in the changeset.

So I see two ways to go from here:

  1. Keep the microservice call where it is now, but add a validation to the Ecto.Multi chain,
  2. Push the microservice call directly to changeset.

I tried both approaches and here’s what learned.

1. Keep the microservice call where it is now, but add a validation to the Ecto.Multi chain

The microservice call will always return {:ok, data} or {:error, :data}. This suites Ecto.Multi.run requirement for function’s return value so my code becomes this:

def new_declaration(declaration_attrs, user_id) do
  settings = SettingsMicroserviceAPI.get()

  Multi.new
  |> Multi.run(:fetch_settings, fn _ -> settings end)
  |> Multi.update_all(:pending_declarations, pending_declarations_query(declaration_attrs), set: [status: "CANCELLED"])
  |> Multi.insert(:declaration, changeset(pending_declaration_attrs, settings))
  |> Multi.run(:verification_code, Verification, :send_verification_code, [declaration_attrs])
end

Now, Ecto.Multi will validate the settings: in case of {:error, _} = settings the transaction will be rolled back, and a nice error will be returned to controller.

There are two problems with this, however:

  1. I have to update the signature of changeset from this:

    def changeset(attrs, settings)
      # ...
    end
    

    to this:

    def changeset(attrs, %{:ok, settings})
      # ...
    end
    

    which looks a little ugly.

  2. In case of {:error, _} = settings, I need to add another changeset function clause, as otherwise the code will raise a no matched function error.

2. Push the microservice call directly to changeset

I can do this (the actual code was reduced for brevity):

def create_changeset(attrs) do
  %Declaration{}
  |> cast(attrs, @required_fields)
  |> fetch_settings()
end

def fetch_settings(changeset) do
  result = SettingsMicroserviceAPI.get()

  case result do
    {:ok, settings} ->
      put_change(changeset, :_settings, settings)
    {:error, reason}
      add_error(changeset, :_settings, reason)
  end
end

This works, but with two caveats:

  1. In case I need to use settings across multi steps, inside verification code step for example, I’d have to rewrite the verification step to something like this:

    # ...
    |> Multi.run(:verification_code, fn multi ->
         settings = multi.declaration.get_change(:_settings)
    
         Verification.send_verification_code(declaration_attrs, settings))
       end)
    
  2. I’m not aware of a standard mechanism for storing arbitrary data alongside the changeset, so I have to use a temporal private _settings key.
    This works right now, but there’s no guarantee changeset becomes more strict in future, to disallow fields not described in the schema?


I’m sticking to the second solution right now as it seems to work (at least on the paper;
I’m yet to implement it). But I wonder how everyone handle HTTP interaction with 3rd parties
during transactions?

Maybe this design is inherently wrong, and there’s an “official way” to deal with these kinds
of situations.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

Since the 3rd party call does not depend on any data within Multi I’d definitely keep it out. Seems like a good use case for with which will simply propagate the error from API:

with {:ok, settings} <- settings_api.get() do
  Ecto.Multi.new
  |> Multi.update_all(...)
  |> ...
  |> Repo.transaction
end
gmile

gmile OP

Thanks @wojtekmach!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews