peerreynders

peerreynders


Don’t forget you can get 35% off the ebook with your forum discount, use code ‘devtalk.com’ :023:

Available in beta now

Showing Posts 1 to 10

AstonJ

AstonJ

https://twitter.com/redrapids/status/1117082473194766336

https://twitter.com/redrapids/status/1117082474545385472

https://twitter.com/redrapids/status/1117082475426131968

https://twitter.com/redrapids/status/1117082476315324418

Can’t wait! Congrats @JEG2 :023:

And I completely agree with the change of name - I think it reflects the difference between working with Elixir and other languages too; in Elixir you much more feel like you are designing a system or are a system architect. I feel more like a software engineer when thinking about working with Elixir and Phoenix, whereas with Rails I always felt like a Rails user (not even a Rails developer).

mythicalprogrammer

mythicalprogrammer

This sounds awesome.

Will be waiting for this.

The only other book so far is The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook By Benjamin Wei Hao.

Good to have more books on OTP.

peerreynders

peerreynders OP

I wouldn’t dismiss

just because it’s doesn’t use Elixir. It goes towards explaining the reasoning behind how OTP approaches the problems that it solves.

In some way I see (p.175)

This forms part of the supervision strategy of a system and in some situations is put in place not by the developer, who focuses only on what particular workers have to do, but by the architect, who has an overall view and understanding of the system and how the different components interact with each other.

reflecting the sensibility of

DESIGN captures the essence of how to layer better than programming.

Also none of this contradicts Source Code is the Design. Code is an expression of design and design is influenced by the design-time and runtime capabilities of the target environment (however the mere existence of code is not evidence of intentional design).

mythicalprogrammer

mythicalprogrammer

Oh thanks for the advices.

I’m actually doing Benjamin Hao’s book currently.

I’ll give the Manning’s Erlang one a try.

frigidcode

frigidcode

Elixir in Action covers OTP and I prefer it over The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook, worth adding to your list.

Excited for this book!

hectorsq

hectorsq

Beta 1 is available now. Already bought it!

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Another book that teaches us how to program in layers. How interesting.
I have a question though, do they teach how to decouple our app logic from OTP, or are they intrinsically connected ?

Will surely check it out, I am fan so I can’t miss this out :smiley:

bartlomiej

bartlomiej

I’m looking forward to look into your book! Hope it delivers just like almost every single one I got from pragprog. Going to get it just after I finish reading property testing one :slight_smile:

JulienCorb

JulienCorb

I’m about to buy the book !! exciting week-end to come :smiley:

Greetings from Paris, France

JEG2

JEG2

Author of Designing Elixir Systems with OTP

I feel this is a major focus of our writing, but obviously I am biased. You might be able to watch the book club thread to see if others agree.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Books Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews