GenericJam

GenericJam

Just posting this for future me and other travelers.

In JS I was used to trying to detect the "load" event as a trigger to do stuff when the page has loaded but that has already fired by the time you would set up a listener so you can just push the event directly inside the mount function (the JS one).

In app.js

const Hooks = {
  ScreenSize: {
    mounted() {
      // If you want to listen on resize and push the same event
      window.addEventListener("resize", (e) => {
        this.pushEvent("page-size", {
          screenWidth: window.innerWidth,
          screenHeight: window.innerHeight,
        });
      });

      this.pushEvent("page-size", {
        screenWidth: window.innerWidth,
        screenHeight: window.innerHeight,
      });
    },
  },
};
// Amended boilerplate...
let csrfToken = document
  .querySelector("meta[name='csrf-token']")
  .getAttribute("content");
let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
  params: { _csrf_token: csrfToken },
  hooks: Hooks,
});

Somewhere on the page tie in the event to the named hook. This is in a heex file or a render function. It doesn’t have to be a div.

<div phx-hook="ScreenSize" id="screen-size">

Then in your :live_view module put in a function to handle the event.

def handle_event(
        "page-size",
        %{"screenWidth" => screen_width, "screenHeight" => screen_height},
        socket
      ) do
    # Whatever your logic is ....

    {:noreply, socket}
end

As a side note (not part of the solution). if you really need to listen for a ‘done loading’ event, "phx:page-loading-stop" might work better. I can imagine this potentially being useful on the JS side, not so much the Phoenix side.

I hope this helps!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

begedin

begedin

Just to add an option, instead of listening to resize events, you can also setup a ResizeObserver in the hook.

In this case, you get the additional flexibility of choosing whether you want to track the size of the window (rather, html element, or body element), or some specific element, such as the element the hook is attached to.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews