user974881
Hello,
I’m trying to use DETS to store a struct, so I know that for this, I need to use the keypos option to tell elixir where it should get the key, so it’s value would be #struct.key, but in elixir, I don’t know how to do it.
I have tried :key, %Struct.key, %Struct[}.key, #struct.key and also without keypos, but none have worked.
How do I use DETS to store a struct? I have also checked in Elixir’s source code and documentation but haven’t found it, I guess this is because it comes from erlang.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
The
#record.keysyntax is for records; Elixir structs are not records, they are maps.DETS stores tuples, so records fit naturally.
You’ll need to either produce a tuple from your struct, so that
%SomeStruct{key: 123}is stored as{123, %SomeStruct{key: 123}}or transform the struct to a record (see theRecorddocs for some Elixir helpers).One possible gotcha: for the “convert to a record” case, I don’t see a clear Elixir equivalent to
#record.keyto get a tuple position from a field nameEdit: thanks to @lud for calling out what I totally skimmed past - if you said
defrecord :user, ...thenuser(:some_field)is the zero-based index ofsome_fieldin the record. That will work as-is if you want to access the field withKernel#elem, but you’ll need to explicitly add one if you pass it to ETS askeypos(which expects a 1-based index!).user974881
Well thanks, I thought structs were records, didn’t know it was a separate thing, I’ll just use a record instead of a struct now.
lud
It’s
record_macro(:key)!