dominicletz

dominicletz

Creator of Elixir Desktop

Hey there,

for a side project I needed to store more than those max. 2gb that the builtin :dets supports and so I created this new pure Elixir library DetsPlus.

It has mostly the same API but is a more Elixir friendly as it supports the Enum protocol and structs/maps!. So you can do Enum.reduce() and friends on it.

When storing maps/structs we have to specify as kepos the field name instead of the element index for tuples. E.g. here an example storing maps with DetsPlus:

{:ok, dets} = DetsPlus.open_file(:example, keypos: :id)
DetsPlus.insert(dets, %{id: 1, value: 42})
[{%id: 1, value: 42}] = DetsPlus.lookup(dets, 1)
# or using the Enum protocol:
[{%id: 1, value: 42}] = Enum.to_list(dets)
:ok =  DetsPlus.close(dets)

It’s using a constant database approach inspired by D.J. Bernsteins CDB library https://cr.yp.to/cdb.html - and so key lookups are extremely efficient even though it’s going to disk. Also when updating the database the whole file is being replaced atomically making DetsPlus great for embedded and Nerves use cases where power might be gone at any time.

Docs: DetsPlus — DetsPlus v2.4.4
Github: GitHub - dominicletz/dets_plus: Pure Elixir disk backed key-value store. · GitHub

Add it to your deps and let me know any feedback!

def deps do
  [
    {:dets_plus, "~> 2.1"}
  ]
end

Showing Posts 1 to 3

richgal

richgal

Hi @dominicletz ,

Thanks for sharing this module, I immediatly started using it :slight_smile:

I ran into one issue. When I call the DetsPlus.close function a PagedFile process stays alive in hibernated mode and spawn a new process every time I call DetsPlus.open_file or DetsPlus.lookup.

Am I missing something and this the normal working of this module?

I made a github issue also, to help with follow up.

dominicletz

dominicletz OP

Creator of Elixir Desktop

Thanks @richgal that’s fixed!

richgal

richgal

Happy to hear, I’ll try out soon. I’m planning to use DetsPlus in a production app.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews