OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Ahh, I have here my big Phoenix project at work currently running in dev mode, eating up a measly 143 megs while it is hosting a few dozen websocket connections and database work and such.

And side-by-side to it is node, eating a wtf 305megs just to compile assets…

Only thing higher than Phoenix’s node in memory right now is dwm.exe (because windows sucks) and chrome.exe (because I have OGodHowManyTabs open right now).

/me sighs

Still low, but just surprising it is that high compared to a full-out erlang server that is actually doing a lot of stuff is quite a bit smaller. :wink:

If only there were a way to toss out node for handling all the front-end assets. ^.^

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Phoenix doesn’t have asset management yet?

PragTob

PragTob

The Phoenix philosophy for asset management is, just use npm/node - we have brunch as a default but it is easily replaceable by whatever. So I also think it’s not going to come.

I like this very much. We don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time around and cook something new up. Most node/npm tooling is far more advanced than in other language which is also why people on frameworks with asset management (like rails) constantly look for ways to integrate, for instance, webpack with it - which is a pain (or at least it was for both Rails and JS experts at my former company).

I love the flexibility and pragmatism of Phoenix here.

lucidstack

lucidstack

As somebody who has been through Sprockets hell, I couldn’t agree more. Let node do its thing, and focus on what isn’t out there yet, like Phoenix did with PubSub

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Thing is, I never used anything beyond Sprockets – and I absolutely hate that software piece. Plus I always stayed away from the hardcore frontend development.

I didn’t realize the Node variant was that good as people claim. Although to be fair, Node by itself is pretty bad but that’s another discussion entirely. It doesn’t help my negative bias against anything in Node though, that’s a sad fact.

What exact combo of software pieces from the Node land must be assembled to have a full-blown asset management?

PragTob

PragTob

Not sure what exactly you mean, but you gotta have node and npm (package manager) installed. By default phoenix comes with brunch which is a somewhat not so popular choice but was chosen by the time for its ease of use. The most popular/hyped for quite some time one as far as I’m aware of is webpack. If you google webpack phoenix you’ll find a wealth of blog posts and other how tos.

In general, as far as I’m aware you’ve gotta (of course) install some other packages for, you know get babel running or sass or whatever - as plugins for webpack. That can sometimes be a bit fiddly as far as I know but I haven’t had the pleasure yet of going through this myself :slight_smile:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Well, we’re devs. We have to fiddle with stuff. As long as it’s only once per machine, it’s fine. As I already stated, I am usually staying away from the frontend stack but if I can nail it once and for all + use Phoenix, it’ll be worth the pain.

Thank you for the references. :thumbsup:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1 OP

Very! Re-creating the javascript asset pipeline would be beyond painful and not work with everything very well. Using node is the right way, regardless of how heavy node is. ^.^

EDIT: My main complaint with the node stuff is the 50-thousand asset pipelines that do not interoperate (Brunch, Webpack, Gulp, Grunt, JSPM, Bower, NPM, etc… etc.. etc.) and where certain libraries will only work with certain things (I have 4 of the above things in my big project right now because of javascript ecosystem utter-stupidity). I do not care ‘what’ is chosen, but there needs to be only one thing chosen…

peerreynders

peerreynders

While I completely sympathize with your position - be careful what you wish for. “but there needs to be only one thing chosen” has driven a lot of people and organizations to simply restrict themselves to a single corporation’s (like Microsoft) offerings and we all know that doesn’t lead to “best of breed tools” either. Open Source Software tends towards a proliferation of alternatives.

I’ve observed this first with Java Web frameworks and which one did I ultimately use? The lowest common denominator: Servlet/JSP - while not getting any of the benefits of the more sophisticated alternatives it didn’t place any constraints on what I could do - i.e. it didn’t lock me into anything. Now obviously the lowest common denominator isn’t always the best choice.

That being said I think that an environment which fosters “does only one thing but it does it well” contributions would be ideal - basically an build/asset management tool that follows the PostCSS model - some of the more commonly needed services are provided to plugins but the plugins do most of the dirty work.

The other issue is that people will often gravitate towards the solution that looks like its the fastest/easiest to learn/adopt, not because it best serves their needs.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1 OP

True, but by ‘one thing’ I mean one style that everything can follow, I.E. a standard. :wink:

That is basically how they all work, but all the plugins work differently in each system, there is no sharing of code and there is a massive duplication of efforts.

Yeah… >.>

peerreynders

peerreynders

:blush: not very helpful, I know.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews