laurenfackler

laurenfackler

To quickly test changes to email template copy and styling, I created a couple routes that are only accessible in the dev environment:

if Mix.env() == :dev do
  get("/email_previews", EmailPreviewController, :index)
  get("/email_previews/:email", EmailPreviewController, :show)
end

However, this now means that there is a template file that references a path helper function that doesn’t exist in other environments:

<ul>
<%= for email <- @emails do %>
  <li><a href="<%= email_preview_path(@conn, :show, to_string(email)) %>"><%= email %></a></li>
<% end %>
</ul>

which prevents the app from compiling:

** (CompileError) lib/my_app_web/templates/email_preview/index.html.eex:9: undefined function email_preview_path/3

How can I get the app to compile?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

aptinio

aptinio

Try wrapping the for loop in a if Mix.env() == :dev block.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

You don’t want to do Mix.env calls at runtime. Does the email_preview_path exist in a view that only is needed in dev?

aptinio

aptinio

Oh, right! I guess it’s different for routes because they’re compiled?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Right, the if Mix.env == :dev do call in the router happens at compile time because it’s in the module body.

laurenfackler

laurenfackler OP

Yes, it only exists in a template that’s needed in dev.

andrejsm

andrejsm

Simply don’t use the compiled path functions. Instead type them as strings and interpolate values.

danschultzer

danschultzer

Pow Core Team

You could use Mix.env == :dev at compile time:

<ul>
<%= if unquote(Mix.env() == :dev),
  do: for email <- @emails do %>
  <li><a href="<%= email_preview_path(@conn, :show, to_string(email)) %>"><%= email %></a></li>
<% end %>
</ul>
mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

When one needs different modules to be compiled in different environments, it’d be better to explicitly define these module sets, instead of polluting the source code with conditionals.

For the modules to be available in :test only, the common approach is to create test/support folder, and modify your mix.exs in the following way:

  1. Create a private function like this:
defp elixirc_paths(:test), do: ["lib", "test/support"]
defp elixirc_paths(_), do: ["lib"]
  1. Modify your Mix.Project.project/0 callback to include the following key/value pair:
elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env())
  1. Put all the files containing modules needed only in test environment there.

That way all of them will be compiled in test and discarded in all other environments.

If you need some modules to exist in :prod only, declare compile paths appropriately.

laurenfackler

laurenfackler OP

I literally laughed out loud and then facepalmed after reading your suggestion. Thanks!

laurenfackler

laurenfackler OP

I ended up going with the solution suggested by @andrejsm but I did give this a try out of curiosity and couldn’t get it to work. At first, I was getting a syntax error, so I switched to a multi-line if statement to see if that was the cause—that fixed the syntax error but resulted in the same compile error about the path function not being available.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews