rameshsharma
How to create a soap service in elixir and phoenix. I went through some of the links but nowhere I could get complete guidance on development of a soap service in elixir and phoenix. I have a wsdl url and a request xml. On hitting the wsdl url with the request xml in soap ui, I am getting a proper response. I want to develop this calling of the wsdl and getting a response in elixir and phoenix. What should I refer to. Could not find very useful reference till now. Can someone please guide me.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
halostatue
If you can, build a REST-to-SOAP service in a language that has good SOAP support. I have tried all of the various SOAP libraries in Erlang and Elixir and have yet to find one that can properly parse the WSDLs that I had to deal with (they all failed at some point or another)
I ended up using Ruby with
soap4r(well,soap4r-ng), because neithersavonnorlolsoapcould handle the complexity of the SOAP service I used.SOAP is a nasty piece of work because it’s fully object oriented and if your service was built system-first, rather than WSDL-first, you will have heavy object orientation and polymorphism to deal with and pretty much all of the Erlang/Elixir SOAP services that I played with failed.
If I have to deal with another SOAP service (I’m usually doing enterprise integrations, so it’s not unlikely), I will either do the same thing or build my own WSDL/WSSE/SOAP layer with the goal of open sourcing it, but that’s probably a year in the future at least. It’s a hard thing, because once we got started with the
soap4rapproach, we had our gateway and Elixir code implemented in about two weeks. It would have taken two weeks just to get a working WSDL parser for Elixir to handle the multiple WSDLs I had to deal with.I love Elixir, but there’s no good answer to doing SOAP in Elixir at this point.
rameshsharma
Thanks Austin for sharing your experience. My requirement is SOAP service only in Elixir. I have only 1 WSDL which I have to work on.
I referrred to the below link for implementation but the tutorial is not so good:-
https://github.com/elixir-soap/soap
halostatue
I understand. You might have success with one of the various projects I list below, but it entirely depends on whether the WSDL represents something that was written and the service code was written from it…or whether the WSDL is something generated from the service code. The former presents interfaces that conform to spec far more frequently and simply. The latter will do things that are possible in the spec, but don’t happen in WSDL-first services, which means that most WSDL parsers handle them poorly.
Here are all the toolkits I’ve tried before basically punting:
Of these, bet365/soap is the most mature but hasn’t been maintained in years; polyfox/castile is promising but hasn’t been maintained in a long time; zdeneksejcek/soapex is really interesting but incomplete. None of them worked with any one of the four WSDLs I had to work with.
If yours is a simple enough service, you’d probably be better off building EEx templates for sending the requests and XML parsers for receiving the requests and calling the services with an HTTP client (most SOAP is over HTTPS, after all).
If it’s not a simple service…all I can say is good luck doing it in Elixir. SOAP is a technology that only works really well if you have relatively large engineering teams building the code tooling around the excessively complicated standards. The absolute best platforms/languages to develop SOAP services and clients are Java and C#—because the SOAP standards were mostly written by people who work at Oracle (and Sun before that), IBM, SAP, and Microsoft.
The truth is, I don’t want to write a SOAP client in Elixir—because I don’t want to use SOAP if I can avoid it, and that disdain also means that I’m not likely to maintain it (even the Ruby toolkit that I ended up using,
soap4r-ng, hasn’t been maintained in a few years, but it’s a lot more mature than anything in Elixir/Erlang that does SOAP).dimitarvp
Good summary. I’d question OP’s requirement to create SOAP service (of all things!) but they might be stuck with a strong-headed customer.
@rameshsharma Are there not other options? What are you trying to achieve exactly?
rameshsharma
Thanks Austin for the detailed summary.
I have a wsdl url mentioned below. I have to develop a soap service to hit the wsdl using a request xml and get a response. Based on the below url can you suggest me the best approach of work.
https://sandbox.ws-idu.tracesmart.co.uk/v5.6/?wsdl
Is there any reference link of the above point mentioned by you:
‘‘If yours is a simple enough service, you’d probably be better off building EEx templates for sending the requests and XML parsers for receiving the requests and calling the services with an HTTP client (most SOAP is over HTTPS, after all).’’
halostatue
This is based on a quick reading of the WSDL, but I think that it’s simple enough (it isn’t using any polymorphism that I can see, except in arrays) that it should work with pretty much any of the existing toolkits. It is not simple enough that you could reliably make EEx templates without a lot of example payloads.
The EEx template approach is just one where you get a full-change payload and then use EEx template logic, looping, and substitution to build an appropriate XML file for a payload.
rameshsharma
Thanks Austin. So I think then I can go for elixir-soap/soap.
I am completely new to SOAP service in Elixir. The documentation below does not clearly state how to send request xml to hit the wsdl and get the response back.
https://github.com/elixir-soap/soap
Is there any reference anywhere?
rameshsharma
On hitting the below command in interactive shell, I am getting the below output.
iex:4> {:ok, wsdl} = Soap.init_model(“https://sandbox.ws-idu.tracesmart.co.uk/v5.6/?wsdl”, :url)
{:ok,
%{
complex_types: ,
endpoint: “”,
messages: ,
namespaces: %{},
operations: ,
schema_attributes: %{element_form_default: “”, target_namespace: “urn:idu”},
soap_version: “1.1”,
validation_types: %{}
}}
Not sure why complex_types, operations are all showing .
OvermindDL1
Don’t neglect erlang libraries for soap handling as well. Soap was more of a big thing back in erlang’s creation days.
But for note, soap is just (mostly) xml in various defined ways, it’s not hard to do it manually with no libraries at all.
rameshsharma
Thanks, by erlang library you mean to refer to bet365/soap ??