Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann

defmodule PythonProcessAPI do
  require Logger

  def process_output(foo, _, python_path) do
    Print.text("Results received from #{python_path}.")

    Logger.info("#{inspect(foo)}, __MODULE__, line 8")
  end

  def connect(data, python_path) do
    port =
      :erlang.open_port(
        {:spawn, python_path},
        [:binary, packet: 4]
      )

    execute = fn input ->
      send(port, {self(), {:command, :erlang.term_to_binary({input})}})

      receive do
        foo ->
          process_output(foo, data, python_path)
      end
    end

    execute.(data)
  end
end
#my_python_process.py

import sys
import simplejson as json
from loguru import logger
from conversion import to_string
from erlastic import port_connection, Atom as atom
from some_library.errors import (BaseError, AuthenticationError, PermissionDenied,
                                ArgumentsRequired, BadRequest, BadResponse,
                                NullResponse, InvalidAddress, NotSupported, NetworkError, DDoSProtection,
                                RateLimitExceeded, OnMaintenance, InvalidNonce, RequestTimeout)


mailbox, port = port_connection()


@logger.catch
def submit_report(success_status, report, arg1, arg2, arg3):
    logger.info("Processing report . . . ")
    full_report = report | {
        'arg1': arg1, 'arg2': arg2, 'arg3': arg3}
    full_report_json = json.dumps(full_report)

    try:
        port.send((atom(success_status), (full_report_json)))
        logger.info("Transmitted report . . . ")
    except (BrokenPipeError) as error:
        logger.exception(error)
        sys.exit()
    finally:
        sys.exit()


@logger.catch
def fetch_params():
    for params_data in mailbox:
        params_hash = to_string(params_data)
        return params_hash[0]


@logger.catch
def some_function():
    params_json = fetch_params()
    params = json.loads(params_json)
   
   arg1, arg2, arg3 = params

    try:
        submission_report = some_operation(params)

    except (BaseError, AuthenticationError, PermissionDenied,
            ArgumentsRequired, BadRequest, BadResponse,
            NullResponse, InvalidAddress, NotSupported, NetworkError, DDoSProtection,
            RateLimitExceeded, OnMaintenance, InvalidNonce, RequestTimeout) as error:

        logger.exception(error)
        logger.info(params)
        submit_report(
            'error', {'error': str(error)}, arg1, arg2, arg3)
    except Exception as crash_report:
        logger.exception(crash_report)
        logger.info(params)
        submit_report('error', {'error': str(
            crash_report)}, arg1, arg2, arg3)
    else:
        submit_report(
            'ok', submission_report, arg1, arg2, arg3)


@ logger.catch
def main():
    some_function()


if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

The problem we’re having is that data can be passed to the Python process successfully but the return message never reaches the Elixir side. All success messages from the Python end are logged, but there are no exceptions or error messages to go on. We’re at a loss for how to diagnose what’s wrong. Suggestions? Recommendations?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Can’t comment on the python side.

You are only handling one message in the elixir side. Is it intentional? Maybe the message is still in the inbox. try flush() in iex.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Can’t comment on erlastic, but I have been using erlport lately with python.

This blog post is really nice…

https://medium.com/stuart-engineering/how-we-use-python-within-elixir-486eb4d266f9

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews