LionOps

LionOps

I’m still relatively new to Elixir, so I’m hoping someone can shed some light on what’s up with my mode and/or dialyzer:

defmodule Eclipse.Router.Connection do
  @moduledoc """
  Server for a connection
  """

  use GenServer, restart: :transient

  @local_opts [:binary, packet: :raw, active: false, reuseaddr: true, reuseport: true]
  @remote_opts [:binary, :inet, active: false, packet: :raw]

  @type state :: %{
          socket: Eclipse.Router.Socket.t()
        }

  @impl GenServer
  @spec init({Eclipse.Config.Connections.t(), :local}) :: {:ok, state()}
  def init({%Eclipse.Config.Connections{} = config, :local}) do
    {:ok, socket} = :gen_tcp.listen(config.local_port, @local_opts)
    {:ok, client} = :gen_tcp.accept(socket)
    {:ok, %{socket: Eclipse.Router.Socket.new(client)}}
  end

  @spec init({Eclipse.Config.Connections.t(), :remote}) :: {:ok, state()}
  def init({%Eclipse.Config.Connections{} = config, :remote}) do
    {:ok, socket} = :gen_tcp.connect(config.remote_hostname, config.remote_port, @remote_opts)
    {:ok, Eclipse.Router.Socket.new(socket)}
  end
end

The above code passes, but the second init has the wrong success typing. {:ok, Eclipse.Router.Socket.new(socket)} as opposed to {:ok, %{socket: Eclipse.Router.Socket.new(socket)}}

If I comment out the first init, I get the expected errors.

Some guidance is appreciated on what I’m doing wrong.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

How is it wrong? Check what you’re returning in the second function variant – it’s what Dialyzer is finding as well. You are returning a value without putting it in a map.

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

By default dialyzer’s success typing is pretty loose and is happy as long as one branch is OK, here is a minimal example:

  # no error
  @spec foo(:int) :: integer()
  @spec foo(:str) :: binary()
  def foo(:int), do: 123
  def foo(:str), do: nil  # should be a binary!

But after adding the following flags to your mix.exs (this is the config I personally recommend and use):

 dialyzer: [flags: [:missing_return, :extra_return]]

Dialyzer is now able to catch these errors:

lib/repro.ex:19:extra_range
The type specification has too many types for the function.

Function:
Repro.foo/1

Extra type:
binary()

Success typing:
nil | 123

________________________________________________________________________________
lib/repro.ex:19:missing_range
The type specification is missing types returned by function.

Function:
Repro.foo/1

Type specification return types:
binary() | integer()

Missing from spec:
nil

That being said, even if dialyzer is able to understand this particular error with the right flags, it is important to keep in mind that it remains quite limited and that there are a whole range of type errors it won’t be able to catch.

LionOps

LionOps OP

state is a map, though, is it not? Both function variants have the same return spec, but return different things. Dialyzer will error on the second variant if I comment out the first variant, or if I remove the map from the first variant, it’ll error there.

LionOps

LionOps OP

I had those flags in place, and it’s not catching the error. If I’m understanding things correctly, I’ve setup dialxyr correctly and have the correct spec, but it’s not equipped to catch the error.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Your first variant has this as a return value:

The second variant however has this:

Maybe I misunderstand the problem but the difference is pretty clear.

LionOps

LionOps OP

Yes, the variants are different. My problem is that it’s not clear to dialyzer that the second function variant doesn’t match the spec.

I would expect dialyzer to error for the second variant because the return does not match the spec; however, it seems that as long as the first instance is correct, dialyzer is happy. That is a surprising behavior.

My mix config:

...
  def project do
    [
      app: :eclipse,
      version: "0.1.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.17",
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      deps: deps(),
      dialyzer: dialyzer()
    ]
  end
...
  defp dialyzer do
    [
      flags: [
        "-Werror_handling",
        "-Wextra_return",
        "-Wmissing_return",
        "-Wunderspecs",
        "-Wunknown",
        "-Wunmatched_returns"
      ]
    ]
  end

I don’t think it’s a configuration issue because the flags I’m using are in the output:

Starting Dialyzer
[
  check_plt: false,
  init_plt: ~c"eclipse/_build/dev/dialyxir_erlang-27.1.1_elixir-1.17.3_deps-dev.plt",
  files: [~c"eclipse/_build/dev/lib/eclipse/ebin/Elixir.Eclipse.Application.beam",
   ~c"eclipse/_build/dev/lib/eclipse/ebin/Elixir.Eclipse.Config.Client.beam",
   ~c"eclipse/_build/dev/lib/eclipse/ebin/Elixir.Eclipse.Config.Connections.beam",
   ~c"eclipse/_build/dev/lib/eclipse/ebin/Elixir.Eclipse.Launcher.beam",
   ~c"eclipse/_build/dev/lib/eclipse/ebin/Elixir.Eclipse.Router.Connection.beam",
   ...],
  warnings: [:error_handling, :extra_return, :missing_return, :underspecs, ...]
]
Total errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Unnecessary Skips: 0
done in 0m1.73s
done (passed successfully)

I would expect my code to not pass dialzyer, but it does. I’m trying to understand why.

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

Indeed this seems like a bug or limitation in dialyzer, despite the [:missing_return, :extra_return] flags.

It seems it avoids “diving in” when containers superficially seem to have the correct type:

  @spec bar(:a | :b) :: {:ok, integer()}
  def bar(:a), do: {:ok, 1}
  def bar(:b), do: {:ok, ""}

No warning on {:ok, ""}, but it would catch it if it is the wrong atom {:error, 2} or wrong tuple size {:ok, 1, 2}.

For maps, it seems it is fine as long as the other close returns a map:

  @spec foo(:a | :b) :: %{foo: %{bar: integer()}}
  def foo(:a), do: %{foo: %{bar: 1}}
  def foo(:b), do: %{baz: "whatever"}

but fails when the top-level is not a map.

Will open up an issue to OTP.

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team
sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

Update from the issue:

This is a known limitation, extra_return and missing_return are best-effort and won’t catch much. :-/

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews