Dialyxir - Unknown Types

Hello Folks,

I have an umbrella project that I’m trying to use dialyxir with, but I am getting a lot of “noise” regarding unknown functions and unknown types dealing with Ecto.

This gist contains most (though not all) of the output when I run mix dialyzer. As you can see, I get errors such as:

Unknown functions:
  'Elixir.Ecto.Adapters.Postgres':'in_transaction?'/1
  'Elixir.Ecto.Adapters.Postgres':rollback/2

Unknown types:
  'Elixir.Ecto.Changset':t/0

I was wondering if I am doing something wrong that is causing all of these warnings. I am running mix dialyzer from the root of my umbrella app, and only one app has ecto as a dependency.

P.S.

The root mix.exs contains the following:

def project do
    [apps_path: "apps",
     build_embedded: Mix.env == :prod,
     start_permanent: Mix.env == :prod,
     deps: deps,
     dialyzer: [plt_add_deps: :transitive]]
  end

Also, all of the dependencies are being built into the root umbrella project’s /deps folder.

2 Likes

In case this is relevant, I’d also like to add that when I run mix dialyzer from the umbrella’s root, I get this:

dialyzer --no_check_plt --plt /Users/stevenleiva/.dialyxir_core_19_1.3.3.plt -Wunmatched_returns -Werror_handling -Wrace_conditions -Wunderspecs _build/dev/lib/app_a/ebin _build/dev/lib/app_b/ebin, where app_a and app_b are the two OTP apps I wrote myself.

I tried changing the command to dialyzer --no_check_plt --plt /Users/stevenleiva/.dialyxir_core_19_1.3.3.plt -Wunmatched_returns -Werror_handling -Wrace_conditions -Wunderspecs _build/dev/lib/*/ebin but that doesn’t seem to be the way to do it.

1 Like

Did you run mix dialyzer.plt first? It is necessary so it caches a lot of data which the subsequent mix dialyzer uses. Presumably only needed to be ran once per Erlang / Elixir version.

1 Like

Hi @pdimitar - yes, after updating the root mix.exs, I ran mix dialyzer.plt, which ran a command like the below. (I’ve cut out the other libs, to focus on the fact that ecto’s ebin folder is being included.

Checking PLT for missing apps.
Checking PLT for updated apps.
dialyzer --check_plt --plt /Users/stevenleiva/.dialyxir_core_19_1.3.3.plt -pa _build/dev/lib/ecto/ebin
  Checking whether the PLT /Users/stevenleiva/.dialyxir_core_19_1.3.3.plt is up-to-date... yes
done (passed successfully)