Deveh
So, I’m writing my home project with Elixir, everything’s going fine, decided to plug dialyxir to scan for some potential issues and it gives me this one error:
lib/http_server.ex:60:unmatched_return
The expression produces a value of type:
:ok | pid()
but this value is unmatched.
Code in question:
defp accept_loop(listen_socket, %State{} = state) do
state = %{state | total_calls: state.total_calls + 1}
case :gen_tcp.accept(listen_socket) do # LINE 60, issue is here
{:ok, client_socket} ->
spawn(fn -> serve(client_socket, state) end)
{:error, data} ->
Logger.notice("Error accepting client socket - #{inspect(data)}")
end
accept_loop(listen_socket, state)
end
Error about unmatched value from gen_tcp.accept. Everything’s working fine and according to documentation I’m matching values just fine - gen_tcp — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2) :
accept(ListenSocket) -> {ok, Socket} | {error, Reason}
I am matching both {:ok, socket} and {:error, reason} so I am at a loss now. What is going on?
Tried adding guard to :ok match - {:ok, client_socket} when is_port(client_socket) -> but mix dialyzer still returns same error.
Tried capturing first variable and checking whether it’s :ok or a pid - {test, client_socket} when test == :ok or is_pid(test) - still same error.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
BartOtten
Sorry, can’t give you a solution. But maybe this might help. If not, you still learned some valuable lessons.
I once stumbled upon a blog post
https://medium.com/erlang-battleground/help-dialyzer-help-you-94db66bfbc5a.
The blog post mentions the next video which helps me ‘think like dialyzer’ and so find solutions.
But before anything, remove your dialyzer cache. Lesson learned the hard way. See:
Deveh
Ah, I see.
It’s the case statement itself that returns either pid from first match - spawn is called - or :ok from second match - Logger.notice call - and THAT is unmatched. So, with this insight, this is an easy “”“fix”“”, as I don’t give a damn about what case returns.