paulanthonywilson

paulanthonywilson

I’m working with a team that are running (relatively) old versions of Elixir and Erlang. Last month I added dialyzer, via dialyxir (can never spell that) to their build. Today we are running into an issue:

:dialyzer.run error: Old PLT file /apps/[redacted]/priv/plts/application.plt

The build is on Azure. The PLTs are cached using Azure Pipeline caching (here if you want to know but I wouldn’t if I could avoid it).

Dialyxir config is

  defp dialyzer do
    [
      plt_add_apps: [:mix, :ex_insights],
      plt_file: {:no_warn, "priv/plts/application.plt"},
      ignore_warnings: "dialyzer.ignore_warnings"
    ]
  end

The plts are excluded from source control.

Versions:

elixir 1.14.2-otp-25
erlang 25.3.2.6

I know I can fix the issue by invalidating the cache but I would like to understand how it happened in the first place. The only thing I’ve been able to find is this somewhat cryptic Erlang mailing list q&a. Old PLT file? .

The checking is going on here which looks like there is some discrepancy between an internally held hash in the PLT and the file contents.

Thoughts?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

D4no0

D4no0

Here is the place in code where this error is raised: otp/lib/dialyzer/src/dialyzer_cplt.erl at 53ffb6a1363180ec67c36e3baa9745ee73e7b5a3 · erlang/otp · GitHub

I cannot figure out though what the code tries to accomplish, it seems there is some kind of file tracking involved.

Does this happen after invalidating the cache?

paulanthonywilson

paulanthonywilson OP

I did link to that in my question :wink:

I am about to invalidate the cache. It definitely doesn not happen locally.

[edit s/no/not/]

D4no0

D4no0

NVM, my bad, I’ve noticed only the mail listing link.

My assumption is that the PLT format is somehow versioned and you upgraded dialyzer version along the way. I would say that if invalidating the cache fixes the situation, then this issue falls most probably on some weird initial setup.

paulanthonywilson

paulanthonywilson OP

Yeah, the link was pretty subtle. It looks like the PLT is an erlang record, stored as a binary term which contains a version and an MD5 hash and if hash does not agree with a recomputed hash then it is an old plt. I don’t get it. ¯\(°_o)/¯:hot_beverage:

paulanthonywilson

paulanthonywilson OP

Still not solved, but I have not spent a ton of time trying to dig into the Erlang dialyzer code. Some more context though.

This is not a single plt file becoming somehow corrupt. Azure Pipelines being Azure Pipelines, caching is isolated to a specific branch. This error was occurring across multiple PR builds. Also the main build, which uses a different cache key, also got the error. Each PLT became old on the 7th of Jan.

As mentioned we’re using dialyxir . Briefly looking at the output it checks that the plt is up to date before running dialyzer with checking disabled .

So the output looks like

Checking PLT...
[(redacted the list of applications), ...]
PLT is up to date!
ignore_warnings: dialyzer.ignore_warnings

Starting Dialyzer
[
  check_plt: false,
  init_plt: '(redacted)/priv/plts/application.plt',
  files: [(redacted the list of files)],
  warnings: [:unknown]
]
:dialyzer.run error: Old PLT file (redacted)/priv/plts/application.plt

Also I have checked and at that time:

  • there was no change to any dependencies
  • no change to the dialyzer config
  • no change to Elixir and Erlang versions

Even if there were, I don’t see how it could have affected multiple pipelines given the cache isolation.

D4no0

D4no0

Did invalidating of cache help?

paulanthonywilson

paulanthonywilson OP

Yes, thanks. Building and caching a new plt worked.

RobertoSchneiders

RobertoSchneiders

We have the same issue in a project using Elixir 1.18.3 and GitHub Actions. It has been happening for quite a while now. It seems completely random. Once this error appears, I have to clear the cache to fix it.

This is how I’m saving the PLT cache, I’m wondering if there is something else that should be considered for the cache key.

      - name: Save PLT cache
        id: plt_cache_save
        uses: actions/cache/save@v4
        if: steps.plt_cache.outputs.cache-hit != 'true'
        with:
          key: |
            plt-${{ runner.os }}-${{ matrix.otp }}-${{ matrix.elixir }}-${{ hashFiles('**/mix.lock') }}
          path: |
            priv/plts 
D4no0

D4no0

That is generally not a really great strategy for caching, as you will have new caches only when your dependencies change.

I would say to use runner-id or whatever it is called to update your cache after each pipeline run, this will ensure that you are up-to-date when it comes to source files change. This will speed up your pipelines substantially.

Another point is that immutable cache is one of the worst systems I’ve encountered yet, so to be on the safe side in case the cache inevitably breaks, keep a prefix for your cache that can be manually changed such as v1-. If you have the option of removing old cache that is even better.

I think that if I’ll have to interact with GA again, I will do the cardinal sin and use JS to write a mutable caching action that works just as in gitlab :smile: . Worked with that one in production for many years and it’s vastly superior in every aspect.

RobertoSchneiders

RobertoSchneiders

Can you elaborate on the use of the runner ID? I’m under the impression the runner ID will be different for every run in GA (at least for GitHub-hosted runners). Are you suggesting I update PLT’s cache after each run even if no dependencies changed?

I’m currently using the suggested GitHub Actions from Dialyxir

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews