saif

saif

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster here. I’ve recently begun working on Elixir full-time again! :raised_hands: It’s been almost 3 years, and I’m really excited and having so much fun.

Having worked on some statically typed languages I’ve been using typespecs and Dialyzer a lot more in my day to day. And this particular message has been driving me crazy:

Function foo/1 has no local return

I just spent about 4 hours trying to figure out why Dialyzer was so upset. And it turned out it’s because when I want to refactor a type I forget to change it everywhere in the code. Dialyzer starts complaining and I can’t figure out why. So I end up having to pinpoint what’s causing the issue and then fixing it. A lot of the time it’s for something completely unrelated! Like for example using the %{ my_struct | key: val} update syntax to update a struct instead of struct(my_struct, key: val).

Has anybody else run into this issue before? And is there a way to help Dialyzer get better at pinpointing the exact issue?

Cheers!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Eiji

Eiji

While I don’t know about any kind of universal solutions you can take a look at this article:
Dialyzer, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the cryptic error messages

There is also one useful hex package:

In case you have no idea what dialyzer is trying to say you can use dialyxir mix task:

mix dialyzer.explain unmatched_return
NobbZ

NobbZ

The error has no local return means that dialyzer can not find a path that won’t raise or throw.

This warning is undebuggable without having more insight into the code.

globalkeith

globalkeith

Function foo/1 has no local return means your function is not total - somewhere the code path would result in your function not returning a value.

Whilst these investigations sometimes take time, in my experience, two things happen.

  1. Dialyzer forces you to be honest about your code - when a function calls other functions, if any of those could raise exceptions, you’ll like get a no local return.
  2. The investigation usually encourages some refactoring which results in more robust, more maintainable code.

Finally, in my experience, whether you like it or not Dialyzer is always right.

The example you gave, one could result in a KeyError whereas the other ignores the error:


iex(1)> defmodule K, do: defstruct []
iex(3)> k = struct(K)
iex(4)> struct(k, key: 123)
%K{}
iex(5)> %{ k | key: 123 }
** (KeyError) key :key not found in: %K{}

NobbZ

NobbZ

It does not mean that. It does mean that from dialyzers perspective the mentioned function will always raise. Not that it has some code path that will raise.

Understanding how dialyzer thinks that it will always raise requires an analisis of the function mentioned, as well as its nested functions.

I have experienced quite often that the problem was some NIF replacement function that raised, rather than calling :erlang.nif_error/1,2.

In many other cases it was some situation in which wrongly declared typespecs misleaded dialyzer to make assumptions that were not matching runtime behaviour.

saif

saif OP

In many other cases it was some situation in which wrongly declared typespecs misleaded dialyzer to make assumptions that were not matching runtime behaviour.

I think this was the case for me the majority of the time.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews