CastLouis
Can someone explain me the diference betwen Enum.map and Stream.map, because i have this piece of code:
File.stream!(path)
|> Stream.map(&parse_line_to_string/1)
|> Stream.filter(fn {status,_} → status == “SP” or status == “RA” end)
|> Enum.map(&build_claim/1)
and it build the claims but if i replace Enum to Stream it doesn’t work.
i dont know how it’s work
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ericmj
Enum.mapimmediately maps over a collection.Stream.mapon the other hand returns a value that describes how to map over a stream. This way we can lazy build a stream from operations such asmapandfilterand later decide to run it.If you replace your
Enum.mapwithStream.mapthe stream will never be executed, instead the value describing how tomapwill just be returned.bbense
One way to think about it is that each Stream call is essentially writing a mini program on that step of the pipeline; those programs don’t get “compiled and run” until there is an Enum in the pipeline to start the execution.
If that way of thinking doesn’t help, then just ignore it.
CastLouis
File.stream!(path)
|> Stream.map(&parse_line_to_string/1)
|> Stream.filter(fn {status,_} → status == “SP” or status == “RA” end)
|> Stream.map(&build_claim/1)
|> Enum.each(&store_claim/1)
Thanks, for helping me, i was doing something after the stream, and i get the conclusion that you can use Stream intermedialy but at the finally you need to que all the collection for finish it
Please correct me if i am wrong.
law
This is my understanding. A stream ‘waits’ until items are called by streaming it into an enumerable or calling Stream.run