thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

Hi! I’ve been diving deeper into Elixir recently and reading through some of the guides and docs about Processes and Supervisors. After reading https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/dynamic-supervisor.html and comparing the docs from Supervisor — Elixir v1.13.4 and DynamicSupervisor — Elixir v1.13.4 I’m not sure I fully grasped the advantages of DynamicSupervisors.

I think the confusion is mainly because I’ve seen that both modules have the same function to start a child “dynamically”: Supervisor.start_child/2 and DynamicSupervisor.start_child/2. However, every guide I read, states that DynamicSupervisors’s main purpose is to add children to the supervision tree dynamically. What am I missing here?

There’s an example in this code base that shows a Supervisor adding children dynamically as well, so I’m not sure I understand the advantages of one over the other.

PS.: Not directly related to the topic, but I also notice that Supervisor.child_spec/2 and DynamicSupervisor.child_spec/1 have some different semantics that seems not documented. The latter doesn’t allow us to pass the module and uses the name option to define the spec id.

Most Liked

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

I improved the docs to say:

The Supervisor module was designed to handle mostly static children
that are started in the given order when the supervisor starts. A
DynamicSupervisor starts with no children. Instead, children are
started on demand via start_child/2 and there is no ordering between
children. This allows the DynamicSupervisor to hold millions of
children by using efficient data structures and to execute certain
options, such as shutting down, concurrently.

17
Post #3
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Permanent == started on app startup and staying there until the app shuts down.

Thanks to this distinction, DynamicSupervisor allows you to start and stop children processes at any time. You also are not strictly mandated to stop them; they will be stopped when the supervisor itself is stopped (although it’s definitely a good idea to stop children proactively after they’ve done their job IMO).

To me, using DynamicSupervisor is appropriate in two scenarios:

  1. When you would like to spawn quite a lot of (say, at least 200,000+) processes because I’d wager then a performance (or memory) impact would start becoming noticeable.
  2. When you need to create processes in response to – or because of the specifics of – external systems whose resources you have to monitor e.g. a web crawling service to which you give a new domain to crawl. It would need to spawn processes to enumerate URLs and then maintain a small pool of workers to do the crawling (and apply rate limits if applicable).

I’d say especially the latter option is pretty valid; there are many real-world examples where you cannot neatly plan a supervision from the start because things do change at runtime. DynamicSupervisor is ideal for this.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

I think the DynamicSupervisor is only a special case of Supervisor that handle only dynamic children. In Erlang there is only supervisor. It is a good habit to separate the static children and the dynamic children in different branches of the supervision tree.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews