dogweather

dogweather

Can someone sum up the differences between Tailwind and Bootstrap? I did two web searches and skimmed five articles, and they’re all super-spammy.

Is Tailwind less semantic? Does it encourage you to not create your own classes? Is that a problem?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

trisolaran

trisolaran

I can try: Bootstrap is a component library with some utility classes on the side, whereas tailwind is a pure utility library with no components.

With Bootstrap, you get a set of predefined components you can use right away (buttons, modals, cards etc.). Tailwind on the other hand doesn’t have any components, but it makes it relatively easy to build them by offering utility classes, which allow you to style your HTML without having to write almost any CSS at all.

Bootstrap does have some utility classes, but it doesn’t embrace the concept as much as tailwind.

I came to tailwind from bootstrap and I wasn’t very happy initially because, even though I really liked the idea of styling everything using classes, I was missing a set of predefined components I could just use. I don’t like having to style my own buttons, modals and so on.

Luckily, if you want to use off-the-shelf components, there are excellent component libraries based on Tailwind. The best one IMO is daisyui :heart:

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I usually drive the point home with this: Tailwind classes abstract CSS, Bootstrap classes abstract complete and pieces of (prebuild) UI. If the goal is to use CSS features to build UI then Tailwind is great. If the goal is to not need to bother doing that then Bootstrap is likely a better fit. Component libraries like daisy UI are great because it’s usually easier to fall back from the “don’t bother” to “ok I need to bother” state for required customizations than it would be with e.g. Bootstrap.

cjbottaro

cjbottaro

Thanks for the DaisyUI link. I’m in the same boat as you, and eventually dropped the money for TailwindUI. But because it’s not open source, you can’t find pre-made Phoenix components for it.

Is there anything like that for DaisyUI? I just wanna mix deps.get daisy-ui or something and be off to the races.

cmo

cmo

@olivermt is allegedly building one for Daisy.

olivermt

olivermt

Ooooh I should get it published right after xmas. Just been a nuts period in my dayjob last couple of months

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews