owaisqayum

owaisqayum

I am going through Streams in Dave Thomas’s book and here I am having difficulties in understanding the following program.

For, example what is receive in sleep function and why to use it?
What is after in sleep function?

How this whole program is executed?

Why Dave Thomas suddenly jumped to such a complex program just after explaining the basics of Stream.

defmodule Countdown do
  # sleep mode
  def sleep(seconds) do
    receive do
    after
      seconds * 1000 -> nil
    end
  end

  def say(text) do
    spawn(fn -> :os.cmd('say #{text}') end)
  end

  def timer do
    Stream.resource(
      # start of next minute or number of seconds in a minute
      fn ->
        {_h, _m, s} = :erlang.time()
        60 - s - 1
      end,
      # wait for the next second
      fn
        0 ->
          {:halt, 0}

        count ->
          sleep(1)
          {[inspect(count)], count - 1}
      end,

      # nothing to deallocate
      fn _ -> nil end
    )
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

slouchpie

slouchpie

I don’t see require in the sleep function. Did you mean “receive”?

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

ohh yes, its a typo. I mean receive

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

I think you will get a better picture of how receive works when reading the chapter on Processes (chap 15), in the meantime you can just consider that this is a way of sleeping.

He could probably as well have used the built-in function :timer.sleep/1, e.g. seconds |> :timer.seconds() |> :timer.sleep().

The use of receive here is not very clear about the intent, but it is basically listening for a message that is never going to come (no call to send anywhere) with a timeout of seconds, after which it returns.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Thats pretty good explanation. Also the Stream.resource function is very confusing as one function pass data to another and thats how it traverse. Is it important to learn it at this stage or it’s too early to dive deep into it ?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It works that way not because there’s no send – other processes could send messages – but because there’s no “matching clause” for receive.

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

Indeed, thank you for the correction :+1:
I meant to say “it isn’t trying to actually receive anything, and isn’t sending anything either, just relying on the timeout as a way to implement the sleep”.

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

While it might not be necessary to “dive deep”, it is probably helpful to understand what exists, what is possible, and you can always come back to it once you need it. The example from the doc might give you a good idea as well.
As stated in the intro, this book is “not a top-to-bottom reference guide”, don’t look at it as a checklist of things you “have to” know, but as a guide to explore the language :slightly_smiling_face:

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Thanks a lot … Is there any reference book for Elixir

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

I suppose it depends what you are looking for, it is a bit hard for me to answer. Maybe this list might help?

If I had to recommend myself, I would suggest starting with the official Getting Started guide and check Elixir School as well.
A great way to explore different parts of the language through practice could be Elixir-koans.
And if you are planning to use Elixir for web development, the Phoenix official guide and Programming Phoenix are fantastic.

All those resources are free (except the book) and should help you get started, check what works best for you. Past some point nothing beats practicing on some real projects IMHO (and the official documentation will be a tremendous help once you do). And you can always come back at Programming Elixir later for a deeper dive into the concepts. :wink:

hernytan

hernytan

Streams, Enums and the functional idioms can be hard to memorize. My advice is to not worry too much about memorizing every function, but learn one everytime you solve a new problem. When I was learning F#, I started with map, reduce and filter only. Then, everytime i solve a problem, I would consult the list of functions, and see if any of them applied. Sometimes I’d miss out things I could do, but that’s ok.

Now when I am learning Elixir, I do the same thing. Also, you can always come here and ask for improvements :slight_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews