nhpip
Hi,
I have a NIF where profiling indicates some functions are hovering around the 1ms region so I intend to make them dirty. Should I just make those functions dirty, or should I do it for all of them? Is there a disadvantage in making a fast NIF function dirty when it doesn’t need to be?
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tj0
I would do just those ones. Essentially, dirty nifs run on their own scheduler. If you make every nif dirty, you may artificially slowing down the faster returning calls as they will be scheduled alongside the longer running calls.
From erl_nif — OTP 29.0.2 (erts 17.0.2)
"A NIF that cannot be split and cannot execute in a millisecond or less is called a “dirty NIF”, as it performs work that the ordinary schedulers of the Erlang runtime system cannot handle cleanly. Applications that make use of such functions must indicate to the runtime that the functions are dirty so they can be handled specially. This is handled by executing dirty jobs on a separate set of schedulers called dirty schedulers. A dirty NIF executing on a dirty scheduler does not have the same duration restriction as a normal NIF.
It is important to classify the dirty job correct. An I/O bound job should be classified as such, and a CPU bound job should be classified as such. If you should classify CPU bound jobs as I/O bound jobs, dirty I/O schedulers might starve ordinary schedulers. I/O bound jobs are expected to either block waiting for I/O, and/or spend a limited amount of time moving data."
ityonemo
Dirty NIFs block calling other dirty NIFs. If you have more NIF calls than you have NIF runtimes divided by average length of call, then you will get a traffic jam.