nicnilov

nicnilov

Recently I noticed that when I save a source file from my editor while having an IEx session running, the latter automatically recompiles my project. I’m pretty sure this never happened before, even though an LLM states this behavior has been going on since Elixir 1.15. Previously I’d use either an explicit recompile call in IEx, or just ran an HTTP request against an app endpoint which also did trigger recompilation.

This behavior is pretty confusing, since I’m not really sure when and why it started (although it did just some days ago), and I haven’t found a way to disable it. I’m aware about the IEx’s auto_reload feature which is disabled in my setup and is about reloading, and not recompilation anyway.

I’d like my IEx state to be unaffected by whatever intermediary edits I happen to do in the code until I decide to apply those explicitly. Please let me know what I’m missing.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

We don’t autoreload automatically, unless you opt-in via auto_reload (as you mentioned) or unless you are using iex -S mix phx.server (as the Phoenix server autoreloads).

nicnilov

nicnilov OP

That’s what I was trying to highlight, but didn’t manage, sorry. I’m not asking about the auto_reload, which is, as you point out, opt-in anyway. It is about automatic recompilation. After I save a file in an editor, I see in my IEx:

Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated myapp app

I’d like to disable that behavior. When I’m ready to recompile, I’d prefer to explicitly do recompile() in IEx or send a browser request, this is the way it’s been for me for a long time.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Are you using Phoenix? Once again, we don’t do it by default. But if you are using Phoenix and the browser is open, auto reload will kick in and reload the page, leading to recompilations, and it has worked like this forever. :slight_smile:

nicnilov

nicnilov OP

I really need to bring my question asking together. Sorry for not giving enough information right away. Yes, I am using Phoenix, but only to serve API endpoints, there is no LiveView or anything. There is also no browser when this happens - its just IEx and an editor (either Cursor or a basic vim setup)…

Thank you for making me elaborate all this!

While I don’t have a browser, I recently added Prometheus and Grafana to my setup and they do generate frequent requests. So what I was taking for some unfamiliar IEx activity was just a regular recompilation during an incoming request.

Thanks again and sorry for all the noise :blush:

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

No problem, glad you figured it out! :heart:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews