vonagam

vonagam

Hi, I’ve opened a discussion on Github whenever it makes sense to change the default for nullability in Ash 4.

Right now allow_nil? option for all fields has true as a default. And to me, based on what I’ve seen in codebases, it feels like a wrong one - it’s just a less strict option that needs opt-out more often than not and because of that introduces noise to code and decreases its readability. Also it is unintuitive (so often needs to be explained to first-time users) because it does not match Elixir or even Ash conventions.

Interested in your opinions:

a) Do you find nullability by default annoying or logical and convenient?

b) If you do prefer things to be other way around and it was up to you whenever such a breaking change is introduced in Ash 4 - would you still be in favor of making the change or choose to keep things as is (because, let’s say, it is not that important and to minimize changes)?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

BartOtten

BartOtten

a.) rather not have nullability by default
b.) option flag in 3 defaulting to nillability, switching the default value in 4.

Igniter is probably not an option as we don’t know what user code relies on the current behaviour. (?)

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The igniter script would go through and set the value of allow_nil?: true to all attributes that don’t have the option set to false, so resources would maintain their current behavior.

garrison

garrison

But it does match standard RDBMS/SQL conventions (NOT NULL) which many may be familiar with.

For the record I am not an Ash user but I do get annoyed typing null: false in all of my Ecto migrations so I’d probably give this a thumbs-up! :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews