Distillery Deployment with Production and Development Releases

Hi all,

Recently, I’ve been acquainting myself with Distillery for deployment, where I am currently deploying both production and development releases for my application to the server. For this, I am using the following configuration file:

Path.join(["rel", "plugins", "*.exs"])
|> Path.wildcard()
|> Enum.map(&Code.eval_file(&1))

use Mix.Releases.Config,
    default_release: (if Mix.env() === :prod, do: :app_name, else: :app_name_dev),
    default_environment: Mix.env()

environment :dev do
  set dev_mode: true
  set include_erts: true
  set cookie: :"${ERLANG_COOKIE_DEV}"
end

environment :prod do
  set include_erts: true
  set include_src: false
  set cookie: :"${ERLANG_COOKIE_PROD}"
end

release :app_name do
  set version: current_version(:app_name)
  set applications: [
    :runtime_tools
  ]
end

release :app_name_dev do
  set version: current_version(:app_name)
  set applications: [
    :runtime_tools,
    :app_name
  ]
end

I am, however, having problems understanding how I can make a new release for both the production application (:app_name) and the development application (:app_name_dev) with the same version. After generating the production and development releases, they both end up in the _build directory, but after updating one release, I cannot update the other release without the following error:

==> Invalid appup specification, mismatched versions found:
version: previous
expected: 0.0.3
got: 0.0.4

I think creating two separate builds entirely will fix the problem, but it seems like an additional inconvenience. Does anyone have any advice on how to best do this?

Thanks,
Tom

I ran MIX_ENV=prod mix release --upgrade --env=prod and it stopped giving this error. Might have something to do with diffs in environments.