nroi

nroi

Hi,

If I start the build with _build/prod/rel/projectname/bin/projectname foreground and then stop it with _build/prod/rel/projectname/bin/projectname stop I get the error message: “Node is not running!” and the exit code 1. The shutdown seems to work nonetheless, at least I don’t see any beam processes other than epmd lurking around, but I don’t want to just ignore the error since I use systemd to start and stop the processes. If processes exit with a non-zero exit code, systemd marks the unit as failed.

Perhaps the foreground option is not meant to be used with the stop command, but sending SIGINT or SIGTERM to the process instead doesn’t solve my problem either: The error message “Node ist not running!” disappears, but I still get a non-zero exit code. Starting the process with “start” instead of foreground is also not an option, since I want the log messages to appear in my systemd journal.

I’d appreciate any advice to solve this without workarounds such as adding SuccessExitStatus= to the systemd service file.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

bitwalker

bitwalker

Leader

stop is meant as a counterpart to start - in my own applications where I use foreground I send SIGTERM to the bin/projectname script process, not the beam.smp process. This is because the script sets up a trap to ensure the application terminates gracefully. If you send SIGTERM directly to the beam.smp process, it will shutdown, but not gracefully, and the trap will then be executed which is what is generating the Node is not running message (because it can’t rpc to the node to tell it to stop).

nroi

nroi OP

I see. In that case, I suppose adding SuccessExitStatus=143 to the systemd service file is the best solution. I thought it was more of a workaround than a fix, but it seems this is a common approach for Java applications as well.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews