oboudry

oboudry

I’m following the Distillery release and hot upgrade from the Programming Elixir 1.6 book. Running on Erlang 20 erts-9.2 64-bits on Windows 7, with Elixir 1.6.

I packaged a release and started it in console view. When I make changes, build a new release and try to do an upgrade, the generated script fails with the following error:

escript failed to open file /bin/release_utils.escript

Process:
> mix release.init
> mix release --env=prod
# unzip tar.gz release 0.1.0 into a separate folder
> bin/sequence console

# make some changes
> mix release --env=prod --upgrade
# move tar.gz release 0.2.0 into corresponding folder
> bin/sequence upgrade 0.2.0
escript failed to open file /bin/release_utils.escript

It closes my MS-DOS window too, had to video capture it to be able to read the error message.

Checking file access with Process Monitor, I see it tries to find the release_utils.escript in C:\bin\release_utils.escript instead of searching in the local folder.

It looks like a bug, but before I raise an issue I wanted to check with the community, in case I’m doing something wrong.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

bitwalker

bitwalker

Leader

Definitely a bug, can you open an issue? Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews