gmile

gmile

This is just me daydreaming, kindly please let me know if I this is completely delusional… :wink:

Maybe a naive question, but I’ll try my luck: would it be technically feasible to implement distribution of compiled .beam files for Elixir packages, apart from distributing the source code (e.g. what we have now)? Or there’s a good reason, including a technical one, it’s rather not to be done / explored?

The key goal of this would be to reduce app compilation times, especially for big applications.

For example, right now, a particular app at my employer is taking a good 5 minutes to compile from scratch on a not particularly beefy VM on GitHub Actions (there are various strategies to improve the compilation speed there, though that’s not the point of this message).

I am wondering if it’d be feasible to bypass package compilation altogether, by downloading package’s compiled .beam files. This way all .beam files for all packages are downloaded and are ready to be bundled with the application during application compilation step.

Obviously, some packages rely on compile-time configuration options, so it may be next to impossible to compile a package in a one-size-fits-all manner. But maybe there’s a way to ship compiled .beam files for packages that most people could benefit from?

One reason against compiling I can think of is, for example, the potential difficulty of verifying that the compiled package indeed matches the source code, e.g. there’s no malicious code baked in the .beam. OS-level package managers seem to have figured that out somehow though? :thinking:

Btw, if this was (or is being) discussed / explored before or elsewhere, I’d be super grateful if you could throw a link at me! :bowing_man:

Showing Posts 1 to 8

hst337

hst337

Or there’s a good reason, including a technical one, it’s rather not to be done / explored?

Environment defines the compilation, because there are some compile-time inputs like MIX_ENV or other env variables, or compilation of native dependencies (like NIFs or PortDrivers) is also bound to the environment of the builder.

There are plenty of tools which make builds idempotent, isolate the environment, cache builds and define the inputs of the package. I’d suggest using nix

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This doesn’t invalidate your point at all, but dependencies in a mix project are always compiled with MIX_ENV=prod, so that one specifically doesn’t change.

hst337

hst337

Not always, this is configurable via :env option
For example, {:my_dep, "~> 1.0", env: :test}

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

There’s some concurrent discussion in this thread, though with a different set of requirements:


One of the “various strategies” is caching the built BEAM files after a mix deps.compile - if you compute the cache key based just on mix.lock (so that the cache can be used across CI builds that have the same deps) you can get essentially the same results as precompiled packages but without any of the portability / security / etc headaches.

gmile

gmile OP

Very nice point, I complete forgot about those kinds of dependencies. Yeah, building packages like that would be problematic

Yeah, we do that and it works mostly fine. This restoration of .beam files from cache is what actually made me think about a “native” way to distribute compiled packages.

hst337

hst337

As I said, you can distribute compiled packages using package managers. Some package managers work on all popular platform, like 0install which works on Mac, Linux and Windows or Nix which works on Mac and Linux.

I personally use Nix to build and deploy packages or docker images. Nix is functional where every package is a pure function of it’s inputs and environment. And around this functional idea there is a a smart cache for built packages in a way cache works for pure functions.

Writing Nix packages for Mix applications is pretty straightforward with tools like mix2nix plus it is officially supported by nix

gmile

gmile OP

Another, I believe, obstacle would be the fact that .beam files compiled under a specific version of Erlang are not guaranteed to work on machines running different (likely, previous) versions of Erlang :thinking:

lukaszsamson

lukaszsamson

ElixirLS Core Team

There are some other approaches for distributing beams:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews