riga

riga

(where x is an integer >= 0)

Is there a one-liner for this?

I found that Enum.times was deprecated back in in 2012:
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/issues/619

But it seems that ranges aren’t a proper replacement, since they don’t work for the case where x == 0.

Showing Posts 1 to 8

alco

alco

Ranges work fine with 0.

Enum.each(0..x, fn i -> do_something(i) end)
alco

alco

If you mean the specific case of 0..0, it can be dealt with like this

Enum.each(0..x, fn
  0 -> :nothing
  _ -> do_something()
end)
riga

riga OP

Right, I was just wondering if there was something that more directly replaced Enum.times that I missed. Thanks!

NobbZ

NobbZ

iex(5)> for i <- 0..10, i > 0, do: IO.puts i
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
[:ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok]
iex(6)> for i <- 0..0, i > 0, do: IO.puts i 
[]
riga

riga OP

Yeah that’s more what I was looking for. Thanks!

peerreynders

peerreynders

Keep in mind that the intent of comprehensions is to work with Enumerables which Range happens to implement. Hence the “result” of the comprehension is a list of :ok values; in this particular case the side-effect is the intended behaviour.

Now you can suppress the list of :ok values by abusing the filter expression:

iex(1)> for x <- 0..10, (fn i -> if (i > 0), do: IO.puts i; false end).(x), do: :ok       
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
[]

But that’s really going from bad to worse.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own “one-liner”:

iex(2)> do_it = fn (low,high,f) ->
...(2)>    aux = fn
...(2)>      c,i when i <= high ->
...(2)>        f.(i)
...(2)>        c.(c, i+1)
...(2)>      _,_ ->
...(2)>        :ok 
...(2)>    end
...(2)>    aux.(aux,low)  
...(2)>  end 
#Function<18.99386804/3 in :erl_eval.expr/5>
iex(3)> do_it.(0,10,&IO.puts/1)     
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
:ok
iex(4)> 

Otherwise I’d just stick with Enum.each/2.

vovayartsev

vovayartsev

It appeared that Range type in Elixir has step:

iex(1)> Map.from_struct(1..0)
%{first: 1, last: 0, step: -1}

So it’s possible to overcome the “do nothing” problem via this range creation syntax:

for _ <- 1..n//1, do: something()

This loop will call something() n times, and will NOT call it at all when n == 0

See Range — Elixir v1.13.4 for more examples

stevensonmt

stevensonmt

Stream.repeatedly(...) |> Enum.take(n)

Or Stream.iterate if you really just want increments.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews