Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

I just heard about SO collectives:

I don’t know if we have a collective there (couldn’t find one for Elixir), but in the chance we don’t have one, I would like to discuss the idea.

I understand the purpose of SO Collectives is to build a community, much like the one we already have here.

The strongest counter-argument I can think about this would be “We already have a community, why have another in SO”. And that is a fair point.

However, from personal experience, most managers and people that are not aware of Elixir rely a lot in StackOverflow data and metrics. Most of them are unaware of this very same forum. I have been in companies that used SO data to discredit Elixir, citing the low number of questions as a “valuable indicator that no one is using it”.

So my argument for it would be more on the line of “giving visibility to the community”. People would find Elixir in SO collectives, and eventually find this forum after. At the very least we would enter the radar of more people, which can only be positive.

What do you folks think? I am missing something? What are your thoughts?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

D4no0

D4no0

I was active on SO for a long time, and I can say that this forum is superior to that format in every way and most of the contributors that were active there moved on pretty much.

I think the collective is just a marketing move, so that companies like google, amazon can pay to show their logos on tags and market their features and services, never saw it actually being used for something useful.

felix-starman

felix-starman

I would agree with the OP. Every single time I am training someone new in Elixir they struggle for a day or two because they assume that the Elixir forum is “just some forum” and not the central community discussion place and where you’d generally go to ask for longer form troubleshooting help or discuss nuanced ideas.

I have also similarly had people use the volume of SO interactions to discount Elixir. It also is where new people go automatically when trying to figure something out.

Since the thread a couple weeks ago about how to bring in new people as a language and community, I think having a serious presence on SO would be the best way to do it. I like this forum and I want its culture to continue, and think we should consider it continuing on a platform that has better SEO and discoverability in the wider tech ecosystem/Internet, even if that means we’re not hosting it

D4no0

D4no0

There are couple of people (including me) that are always perceptive and give great quality answers on SO, the thing is that the number of questions was and is very limited for the last 3-4 years, and from them only a few are focused and have a good quality.

The biggest problem I don’t like about SO is the format of the conversation, more complex and involved questions are just hard to reason about, and then asking the author for more details is a burden.

I agree that small technical questions like How do I do A in phoenix are more fit for SO and they just kind of clutter the forum, it would be better for beginners to ask these questions on SO.

felix-starman

felix-starman

Yeah. There’s a part of me that just wishes SO would do some sort of federation and allow searching across platforms like fediverse style apps

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

@D4no0 I understand you prefer this community over SO. That is a fair opinion to have (which I share as well), however I would like to focus this discussion on the main point:

  • Should we create a SO Collectives group?
  • Would this be an effective strategy in spreading Elixir’s awareness ?
  • Could we use the Collective SO group to bring more people into this forum?

I am off the opinion that the to these question is “yes”.

I am interested in more opinions, and if possible, a course of action to take.

@felix-starman Your experience is quite similar to mine, I see :smiley:

D4no0

D4no0

I wouldn’t say that, I like that community as much as I like this one, even though I moved away from SO, because I favor the better support offered by elixirforum, and the quality of the questions.

If you plan on making the collective, I will join and offer support in form of quality answers and help.

The only thing that still bothers me, is how effective are actually these collectives and how they are different from just using the elixir tag? The only thing I see about them are those colorful logos, but once again I now rarely use SO to search for answers and the places I would search (for example android) doesn’t have a collective.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews