LCMr_music
What should I do if I feel, there is a book about elixir for the actual total beginner (to computer programming) to be written?
should I just Ignore the feeling coz there are already so many Interesting Books written about Elixir,
A great thank to all the people involved in creating Elixir THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
or perhaps I should just continue with this endeavor coz, I feel there isn’t something said, or it’s said but not quite as I think it should be.
What should I do? write another book about elixir or Learn on my own, and let other newcomers to functional programming with Elixir figure it o their own : as im doing?
I’m currently Learning Elixir, I have imperative programming experience, new to functional with Erlang and Elixir.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mindriot
IMHO you should write blog articles or alternatively privately held drafts based on your learning experience working through existing materials then once you have reached a intermediate level then go back through your documentation of the things you struggled with and refine them to add clarity and correct mistakes. You can only understand what a beginner feels at the moment in time you are a beginner, so if you have managed to gather a book worthy collection of experience then perhaps make a book or if not perhaps another type of resource. The important thing is to do it as you learn and overcome struggles then refine with hindsight, hindsight alone will get you the same books we have, which are great but won’t capture the things you are struggling with now.
LCMr_music
Thank you very much, you have scratched my head.
Will certainly follow with what you say,
sfusato
Have you seen Joy of Elixir?
dponyatov
Maybe something about “Elixir for Pythonista”?
How to float up from classed OOP and Django to actor/functional network & DB programming.
c4710n
I think ‘Elixir in Action’ is the right book for beginner.
It introduces basic info about Elixir, then jump into concurrent programming which is the core of Erlang/OTP and Elixir.
c4710n
I wanna share my learning path to you.
At the first, I want to write a web application, so I learn:
After this, I learned something about Phoenix LiveView which can make my website more dynamic.
After gaining an understanding of these high-level usage, I want to go back to the origin. So I plan to read something in depth:
Then, I plan to read something about functional programming:
Then, I plan to learn more about Erlang/OTP:
Exadra37
I had the same struggles then you and the book that clicked for me to do the switch to functional programming was:
This book is from @pragdave, also one of the authors of the famous Pagramtic Programmer book
malloryerik
I also love Programming Elixir but it’s for people new to Elixir, not new to programming, and is even advertised as “intermediate to advanced.”
There is no PragProg Elixir that could be on the PragProg “For Beginners” page.
There’s Joy of Elixir, but on its own it’s not enough.
But can’t you start with Python and then come back to Elixir later? Does Elixir need beginners’ materials at all?
I imagine yes, much as Ruby does. Even if early programmers veer off to try out other languages, good beginners’ materials can create attachment and lead to return. And isn’t it possible that functional is one of the better and even easier styles for beginners?
Imagine someone with an idea for a business around a web app. They consider Phoenix. But first they must learn to program in another language with the goal of later throwing much of that away and rebooting in Elixir, whereas their goal isn’t to become a well-rounded programmer (“learn several languages”) but to bring the web app and business they’ve thought of into the world. Their fastest route at that point is a framework in whatever language they’ve learned first and that isn’t Elixir. Maybe they’ll arrive at Elixir later, but they’ll already be somewhat seasoned programmers.
Yet the Dockyard founder for example talks about a lack of junior and intermediate Elixir devs. He stresses that if your business chooses Elixir you can find fantastic senior devs. But junior devs? They skip Elixir. And at least for fledgling devs, some might also say that Elixir skips them.
dponyatov
What book describes in deep how can I move (emulate?) from Pythonic OOP with classes and shared memory to the Erlangish approach?
I found few posts, but don’t see anything usable – it looks like all of them are written by FP-minded people. The problem is computation models differ in their roots.