Papillon6814
Hi! I’m wondering if I should use formatter of elixir. I have never used any formatters in past projects.
So do you use formatter? And why do you use it?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
I still use the formatter even though I really really hate some of the things it does (like no trailing comma’s on multi-line things) just for consistency with what everyone else expects. I do the same with rust’s formatter and C++ formatting via clang and others as well. I may do some slight tweaks in configs (hard tabs instead of spaces because screw 3+width indentations when I’m in a terminal) when possible, but otherwise try to keep it as ‘vanilla’ as I can. It makes it easier for other people to look at and PR to your code.
dimitarvp
For my Elixir, Rust, JavaScript, JSON and OCaml editing I use formatters even if I don’t like all of their decisions how things should look like.
Truth is, our code will be read by other people so I prefer to be a good citizen.
dmitrykleymenov
For me it’s just a question of habit, more using formatter, more getting used to it and more loving things it does.
John-Goff
I love using the formatter, and specifically format on save in my editor, because it allows me to see if my code is right as it happens. If I save my file and everything snaps into place, I know I did things right. If it doesn’t, I know that I have a syntax error somewhere in the code I just wrote. Saves me from flicking back and forth to the server and my editor.
dimitarvp
Same, and I absolutely love it.
vinibrl
I use even though I don’t agree with every decision, but to maintain consistency. We also use
mix format --check-formattedon CI to ensure the code is formatted.a8t
yes. formatting is for computers to worry about, not me and certainly not a whole team. That’s the important part, the consistency.
ditto on using format-on-save to quickly let me know if I biffed it with a syntax blunder or something!
brightball
I do. I have it setup to run in VSCode on save and my team uses Committee to run it as a precommit hook.
APB9785
You all have inspired me to start using the format-on-save Atom plugin!
strzibny
Yes, absolutely. We even fail CI build if the code is not formatted. My code is formatted in my editor on save.